Their Future is in YOUR Hands!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
I pick "The Hobbit". Such a good book.

But here's a suggestion for the future, when I was in the seventh grade my favorite book my teacher made us read was "The Giver". After I read it I was hooked and ended up reading the rest of the trilogy.

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit The Hobbit

:D
My vote now counts for about 15!

I cannot remember what books I read in school.
I remember a lot of Shakespeare.... it boiled my brain!!!
(Shakespeare was easier to act then it was to read and write an essay on!
Old English is a lot easier to understand when your speaking it out loud and learning it by heart!)

Personally I think you should do something by Terry Pratchett :) Now they are fun books to read!

Toristurtles

5 Year Member
NY
To Kill A Mockingbird, great book...I pick Tom Sawyer.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Love the input! I have to make a final decision tonight b/c I'll have to write an in depth lesson plan for it! I'm 100% going to go w/the voice of the forum. You really can't lose with any of the choices!

Calamala

5 Year Member
I also vote The Hobbit, always been one of my favorites. They are also remaking the movie, so the students can go see it and then appreciate the book even more because it is ALWAYS better.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I'm more of a comic book person. Marvel comics are my favorite. But if I had to choose out of those I would pick The Hobbit. Plus that would get you ready for the movie if you are interested (I can't wait for the movie!).

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
All four are great choices, but I think Tom Sawyer would help teach your students the most, on several levels.

Even better would be Les Miserables or A tale of Two Cities.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Hey Terry. They get A Tale of Two Cities in ninth grade. The ninth grade teacher would LOVE it if I did that. Just think how easy their life would be!!

Terry Allan Hall said:
All four are great choices, but I think Tom Sawyer would help teach your students the most, on several levels.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Star Girl, though not a classic, would be wonderful. I think The Scarlet Letter should be reserved for later when they have a little more life experience and can get more out of it. Tom Sawyer gets my vote.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
EDNA!!! I was hoping you'd give your opinion! :)

Edna said:
Star Girl, though not a classic, would be wonderful. I think The Scarlet Letter should be reserved for later when they have a little more life experience and can get more out of it. Tom Sawyer gets my vote.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
AnthonyC said:
Hey Terry. They get A Tale of Two Cities in ninth grade. The ninth grade teacher would LOVE it if I did that. Just think how easy their life would be!!

Terry Allan Hall said:

That just leaves Les Miserables... :)

Actually, now that I think of it, we studied/read A Tale of Two Cities in 9th Grade, too, here in The Republic.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT! I really like the idea of posting the choices here b/c I get perspective & input from different age groups, locales, and even countries. Well after reading each reply the BIG winner is.... J.R.R. Tolkien's "THE HOBBIT". Tomorrow I'll start writing the lesson plan and by Wednesday the book YOU picked for them will be in their hands!!! I'll keep you updated on their progress and response to YOUR choice! Thank you TFO! :):):D:):)

chase thorn

10 Year Member!
Colorado Springs, CO
AnthonyC said:
THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT! I really like the idea of posting the choices here b/c I get perspective & input from different age groups, locales, and even countries. Well after reading each reply the BIG winner is.... J.R.R. Tolkien's "THE HOBBIT". Tomorrow I'll start writing the lesson plan and by Wednesday the book YOU picked for them will be in their hands!!! I'll keep you updated on their progress and response to YOUR choice! Thank you TFO! :):):D:):)

best book ever in my opinion!!

Status
Not open for further replies.