Thermostat advise please

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Hi can someone please give me
Some advise. I have just got a dimming thermostat for my hermann. I turn the heat off at night. Do I need to turn the thermostat off as well?
Thanks in advance from
Me and Charlie. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1399147100.076002.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I am not familiar with dimming thermostats, but in general you do not turn them off. You may need to adjust the settings if the tortoise habitat is too warm or too cool. I let a reliable thermometer guide my settings rather than the thermostat settings.

M

Maggie Cummings

My dimming thermostat is on a light and at night I turn it off past the 'click'. I have never used one on a heat bulb or CHE. I use black light bulbs. But I would think that if it's heating a baby at night it would stay on low, if on an adult, off it goes. Is that what you mean?

JeffG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Could you possibly give a link to the specific thermostat you have? I know about progressive thermostats and on/off thermostats, but I am not familiar with dimming thermostats. If it is a progressive, you should be able to program it for a different temperature at night, or to shut off completely at night on its own. You shouldn't have to turn it off every night.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
The one thing to consider and why I stopped using thermostats, is depending on the size of the enclosure, where the placement of the “temp probe” is located you will find not too many accurate readings and more so “Hot spots” in a smaller set up . Worse off if the enclosure is a “covered tank type” the overall ambient temperature is created within the whole tank, thus not allowing any “cool off” areas your tort might to settle in. Within my *own* experience and large “hut” type structures for my animals, there are hides within these huts providing the max temperature if wanted by the animal, or cooler areas within the Huts that they can retreat too. I find for my RF’s they tend to stay on the cooler ends of their house during the day and retreating to the internal hides at night. It would be difficult to regulate these variances of temperatures with just one thermostat ( I have tried) , thus I went back to timers , that I can set accordingly to the seasons that I experience and regulate temperatures at certain spots within the hut.

Tinkerbell

5 Year Member
Hiya thanks for the replies. I have a spot light and have plugged the habistat dimmer into it. Temperature now stays at 32 in the hot end instead of rising. I turn the bulb and UVB off in the evening but not sure whether to turn the thermostat off being as the light is turned off.