Dimming Thermostat

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I’ve got a dimming thermostat for my Basking bulb. I’m using a 100w build but I guess it doesn’t matter because it will never get hotter than the temp I set.

My worry is that the probe may get trodden on or moved out of the way and cause the bulb and the tort to overheat, so I was wondering can you all show me how you secure your probes for your dimming thermostats.... do you bury the wire under the substrate with just the end probe sticking out under the basking lamp?

Pictures would be great!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Your heat lamp should be on a timer. Use your thermometer to set the lamp fixture at the correct height, so the basking temp is 95-100 (36-37C) under it.

Thermostats are for heating devices that help maintain ambient temps if needed. Like CHEs or RHPs.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Tom, the lamp is fixed to the top of the vivarium, there is no way to move it up or down, the shop suggested a dimming thermostat, which is what they use (he showed me a demo) I don’t think I can control the heat to a precise level without a thermostat to regulate it.

Salspi

Chicago
Hi guys,

I’ve got a dimming thermostat for my Basking bulb. I’m using a 100w build but I guess it doesn’t matter because it will never get hotter than the temp I set.

My worry is that the probe may get trodden on or moved out of the way and cause the bulb and the tort to overheat, so I was wondering can you all show me how you secure your probes for your dimming thermostats.... do you bury the wire under the substrate with just the end probe sticking out under the basking lamp?

Pictures would be great!

Is this what you’re talking about?

http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/dome-light-heat-control-dimmer/

I use it so I can build the enclosure without having to be totally exact on the height. Works great. You can dim down significantly

Salspi

Chicago
Tom, the lamp is fixed to the top of the vivarium, there is no way to move it up or down, the shop suggested a dimming thermostat, which is what they use (he showed me a demo) I don’t think I can control the heat to a precise level without a thermostat to regulate it.

If we are talking about the same product, You don’t need a probe thermometer... You can just use a temp gun and figure out what level of dimness you need to get the temp you are looking for. Then, just check it every week to make sure its still at that temp.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
IMG_1574.jpg

This is what I’m planning to use.

There are 3 wires you plus one into the wall, you plug your basking light into the other, and there is a probe thermometer. The probe will go under the heat source.

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
I’m just worried that the probe may get knocked out of the way and the light will overheat.

I may try and get a lower wattage bulb and see what the max temp is .

Gosh it’s so hard to work out what is the right thing.

daniellenc

Maryland
I use a Ranco thermostat with probe and run the wiring under the substrate then pull the probe up under his CHE. That way he can trample it all he wants and it doesn’t move.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I would experiment a bit and find the right wattage and type of bulb, which is what I did in my new enclosures, or use a rheostat to dial in the right temperature.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I use a Ranco thermostat with probe and run the wiring under the substrate then pull the probe up under his CHE. That way he can trample it all he wants and it doesn’t move.
A CHE is used for ambient temp maintenance. I would want the probe over in the coolest place in the enclosure, away from the heat sources, so that I can maintain the minimum ambient temp over there.

daniellenc

Maryland
A CHE is used for ambient temp maintenance. I would want the probe over in the coolest place in the enclosure, away from the heat sources, so that I can maintain the minimum ambient temp over there.

You know I never thought of that! I keep it under because my upstairs stays in the mid seventies and I wanted to provide a gradient for him in case he wanted to cool off. However, when I get home I think I will play around with moving it further away and see how much temperatures fluctuate.