Thermostat controlled Heat

Dave B

Hello all,

Im wondering if any of you are using thermostats to control your heat source / basking lamps? I would like to have the enclosure be as automated as possible . We see big swings in our daily temps here which have the potential to shift the basking lamp temps into the dangerous range. I would like to have it cut out in these cases?

If anyone has a setup like this I would appreciate some advice,

Thanks for your help,
David

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
i use a thermostat with my CHE ceramic heat emitters it's not good to use them with basking tho because the turning on and off will shorten the life of the bulb

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
A tortoise will bask to warm his core temp to a level necessary for its life functions and then moves to a cooler area of the enclosure to sleep, eat, drink, explore, and other tortoise stuff. Then it will return to the basking spot to repeat the process. Both the basking spot and the cooler areas are necessary for natural thermo-regulation to occur. I set my basking temp by raising or lowering the light to get a 95°F spot. A thermostat was used to control a heat source, a CHE, for the ambient temp that surrounds the basking spot. The enclosure should be big enough, or the basking light a size (wattage here) that it doesn't over heat the entire enclosure.

Here is the thermostat I have been using.
http://reptileaddiction.blogspot.com/2012/10/product-review-zilla-temperature.html

mushmouth26

10 Year Member!
Texas
Hello all,

Im wondering if any of you are using thermostats to control your heat source / basking lamps? I would like to have the enclosure be as automated as possible . We see big swings in our daily temps here which have the potential to shift the basking lamp temps into the dangerous range. I would like to have it cut out in these cases?

If anyone has a setup like this I would appreciate some advice,

Thanks for your help,
David
Are you talking about outdoor night box or just fenced area.