Thermostat for Closed Chambers Enclosure

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
Hey guys I will be finishing my new closed chambers enclosure tonight for my Sulcatas. It's 4ftx8ft and all I have left to get is a thermostat. I was wondering if anyone could tell me the best one to get for a enclosure this size? I have never used a thermostat before so I have no knowledge on how to even go about buying the best one or even using one. Thanks!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I like my thermostat. It's made by Hydrofarm. Less than $30 online. Digital, easy to read and manage.

It's not about "size" of the thermostat as it is about the heating element plugged into it. Ideally you want the CHE plugged into the thermostat positioned above the center of the enclosure. Then the probe from the thermostat placed in the farthest corner of the chamber. This ensures that it wont drop below your set temperature even farthest away from the heat source.
Some might plug 2 CHEs into the single thermostat and place each CHE on opposite ends. Then place the single probe in the center of the chamber. Both CHEs will click on/off together to keep the ambient temp at your set temp.

Make sense?

featherator

Southern California
Heather, Is the Hydrofarm thermostat still holding up? I'd like to use for my CHE. I have the UVB on a timer and I just need some controlled help keeping ambient temp during our strange so cal winter.

thanks!
Heather

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Re: RE: Thermostat for Closed Chambers Enclosure

featherator said:
Heather, Is the Hydrofarm thermostat still holding up? I'd like to use for my CHE. I have the UVB on a timer and I just need some controlled help keeping ambient temp during our strange so cal winter.

thanks!
Heather

Yes. I have a few and love them :)

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I've used Zoo Med Reptitherm 500's and they worked fine. The temperature dial is a bit of a pain on these though, you can't dial in a number, instead it's like a car heater with orange and blue sections. So you set it somewhere in the middle and observe, changing it as you need to until your desired temp is reached.

I recently made a huge investment and got a herpstat 4. I'll never go back...