closed chambers

baldegale

so i have RF and Tom on here suggested i build a closed chambers. im having trouble finding any instructions or even materials (besides plywood obviously) to use so if anyone can show me more detailed pictures or a materials list or a general price of how much itll cost i'll really appreciate it. thank you for your time.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is it a baby?
For babies you can get a year or even two with a low sided, wide glass aquarium. One with a strip UV light mounted inside the lid and a lid consisting on a piece or two of plexiglass.
It's what I would do because it's simple and it works and it will afford you the time it may take to build a much larger one. (If you are planning to keep it indoors long term.)
If you are keeping an adult or a sub adult, you'll need a large rectangular or square frame work with a waterproof liner, a substrate that can hold humidity and a covering that covers most of the enclosure. Temps of as low as 70 at night and 80-90 during the day. Humidity up over 75% and no bright lights, but a good source of UV. No spiral shaped compact CFL bulbs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Where are you located? If your RF is 5-7 years old, he needs an outdoor enclosure. If you live where it gets cold, he needs a large indoor enclosure for the cold months or a heated shed.

baldegale

i live in tennessee but its impossible for me to have an outdoor shelter because i live on the second floor in an apartment. and about the largest i can do right now is 4x8ft

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I build mine out of plywood and 2x4s. You can line the bottom of the inside with plastic, or try to find something suitable to "paint" it with, which isn't easy. Lots of conflicting info about this. I've used non-toxic boat paint that is meant to be submerged and I've used "DryLok". Anything bought at a hardware store is not designed to be constantly wet. Not epoxy, not water sealers, not shellac, none of it…

The boat paint works great, but its expensive, relatively speaking.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That T5 light is great.
But as stated, you need a lot of room for a sub adult Redfoot.
Mine are all the age of yours and all live outdoors, so I honestly can't say what would work.
You need more room.
Try to section off an area of at least 8x8 feet.
The best way to hold in humidity is by covering it. But large indoor enclosures present difficulties.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
tom's the man for a closed set up!

ed's the man for red's!!

if it helps, i'll post my build however it's for a hermans
in scotland

baldegale

where i live currently thats physically impossible. until i move out at least (a year or two) the maximum i can do is 4x8-4x10 max. i cant fit anything bigger. i wish i could keep mine outside but its not possible, should i sell him to someone that can provide better? i just want whats best for him.

baldegale

there's something you should look into called something like "PondGuard" or something like that. it can be fairly expensive but people use it to make plywood aquariums so it definitely holds back water. i just cant afford it

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
where i live currently thats physically impossible. until i move out at least (a year or two) the maximum i can do is 4x8-4x10 max. i cant fit anything bigger. i wish i could keep mine outside but its not possible, should i sell him to someone that can provide better? i just want whats best for him.

i guess it depends in size and age, perhaps you could have a temporary solution until?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If he's five or seven years old, then, in my opinion, he has outgrown the need for a closed chamber. Just build him the biggest enclosure you have room for, then figure out a way to drape a sheet of plastic film over it. This will keep the cooler air from the house out and the warm, moist air inside. Pour water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand and as it dries out, add more water - but try to keep the top layer more dry to avoid shell rot. As you have to add more water, add it in the corner so it flows down under the substrate.

You can build a frame out of wood or pipe or PVC to support the lights and the plastic film. Here's what I'm talking about:

plastic drape.jpg

(Believe it or not, that was clean water about a half hour ago. Darned box turtles!)

baldegale

i guess it depends in size and age, perhaps you could have a temporary solution until?
thats what i was thinking. hes 5-7 i dont remember how old he was when i got him but his shell is about the size of my hand so probably around 6-7 maybe 8 inches from head to tail. i just want the best i can do and i have about a $600 budget. i'm currently trying to figure out a way to fit an 8x8 in my room but i dont know

baldegale

If he's five or seven years old, then, in my opinion, he has outgrown the need for a closed chamber. Just build him the biggest enclosure you have room for, then figure out a way to drape a sheet of plastic film over it. This will keep the cooler air from the house out and the warm, moist air inside. Pour water over the substrate then mix it up with your hand and as it dries out, add more water - but try to keep the top layer more dry to avoid shell rot. As you have to add more water, add it in the corner so it flows down under the substrate.

You can build a frame out of wood or pipe or PVC to support the lights and the plastic film. Here's what I'm talking about:

View attachment 200070

(Believe it or not, that was clean water about a half hour ago. Darned box turtles!)
i was just looking into the closed chambers because it is really hard to keep things in my room humid and its hard to do something open because i have cats and such. i should probably start looking for someone that can provide better for him

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
thats what i was thinking. hes 5-7 i dont remember how old he was when i got him but his shell is about the size of my hand so probably around 6-7 maybe 8 inches from head to tail. i just want the best i can do and i have about a $600 budget. i'm currently trying to figure out a way to fit an 8x8 in my room but i dont know
What does the Carapace(shell) measure.
Measure it without bending the tape measure to the shape of your torts carapace. It's called SCL(straight carapace length)

baldegale

What does the Carapace(shell) measure.
Measure it without bending the tape measure to the shape of your torts carapace. It's called SCL(straight carapace length)
this is the best i can do right now cause im out of state, ill be home later but his shell goes from red line to red line (just his shell)ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1487362009.573211.jpg (sorry if this doesnt help at all)

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
That T5 light is great.
But as stated, you need a lot of room for a sub adult Redfoot.
Mine are all the age of yours and all live outdoors, so I honestly can't say what would work.
You need more room.
Try to section off an area of at least 8x8 feet.
The best way to hold in humidity is by covering it. But large indoor enclosures present difficulties.

Unless you have a big basement or garage which us apartment dwellers do not a indoor 8x8 truly isn't possible it would be a pain to make and heat and probably be a eye sore

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
My redfoot tort is about 9.5 inches and just over 5 lbs, and is about 5 years old. For right now he lives in a 6 foot by 3 foot wooden box when indoors. It is covered in heavy clear plastic shower curtains. I use a heat bulb at each end of the enclosure and one uvb tube across the middle. I use long fibred sphagnum moss as substrate. Here's photo but keep in mind this is in my basement so I don't mind that it isn't beautiful! I personally don't think you have to go 8 x 8. In this 6 x 3 I'm able to regulate temps and humidity to provide a good environment for him. 8 x 4 enclosure would be better, but he's happy in this 6 x 3. I'll be working on an 8 x 4 probably in the fall.

Attachments

• 20170213_111642.jpg
    20170213_111642.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 48
  • 20170213_111505.jpg
    20170213_111505.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 49
  • 20170213_111523.jpg
    20170213_111523.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
  • 20170213_111505.jpg
    20170213_111505.jpg