Thermostat probe placement

Natalie44

Location (City and/or State)
Essex
I’m not sure if I’ve already asked this question already or not…but anyway! 😂 is the probe in the correct place? It’s at the cooler end.
Natalie x

Attachments

• IMG_5030.jpeg
    IMG_5030.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_5029.jpeg
    IMG_5029.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Natalie44

Essex
Probes needs to be in the cooler end yes😊👍
Awesome :) omg I’m so glad I’ve almost got everything sorted as hanging the CHE and the basking bulb has been a right pain in the arse 😂😂 I thought I would hang it from the top of the greenhouse fixture instead. To say it made me work up a sweat is an understatement haha x

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Awesome :) omg I’m so glad I’ve almost got everything sorted as hanging the CHE and the basking bulb has been a right pain in the arse 😂😂 I thought I would hang it from the top of the greenhouse fixture instead. To say it made me work up a sweat is an understatement haha x
lol bless you! You’re in the home stretch now🥰

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I like to have the probe away from the wall of the enclosure an inch or two minimum. Not touching the wall. Two inches from the wall, 3-4 inches above substrate is what I like. Depending upon how the wall of the enclosure is made, it can pick up too much of the "outside" room temperature and not be a true indication of enclosure cool side.

Natalie44

Essex
I like to have the probe away from the wall of the enclosure an inch or two minimum. Not touching the wall. Two inches from the wall, 3-4 inches above substrate is what I like. Depending upon how the wall of the enclosure is made, it can pick up too much of the "outside" room temperature and not be a true indication of enclosure cool side.
Can you show me a picture of yours please? I’m having trouble working out how to place it away from the wall. Thank you :)

Natalie44

Essex
lol bless you! You’re in the home stretch now🥰
I am 🙌🏻 another thing- the middle of the table is about 25 degrees, the basking area is 36, and the cooler side is 23…are those temps okay? I don’t think I’m gonna need the CHE on at this rate. I’ll set the thermostat for 21 degrees though, so it’s a nice temperature at night x

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
I am 🙌🏻 another thing- the middle of the table is about 25 degrees, the basking area is 36, and the cooler side is 23…are those temps okay? I don’t think I’m gonna need the CHE on at this rate. I’ll set the thermostat for 21 degrees though, so it’s a nice temperature at night x
They sound pretty good, the cooler side wouldn’t hurt being a little bit higher for a day temp, only by a few degrees though so don’t panic if you can’t quite get it there cause your basking temp sounds spot on, and the middle is pretty good.
Just make sure you leave the CHE on at the mains and the thermostat will keep it off for you during the day, it’ll only come on if temps drop too low at night🙂it might not come on at all whilst out weather is milder, but always have it switched on, the thermostat is what keeps it off for you👍

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Can you show me a picture of yours please? I’m having trouble working out how to place it away from the wall. Thank you :)
I put a cup hook in the ceiling of the enclosure right above where I want the sensor to hang. Then let it drape down to the correct height.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
This is a little tick we did, used bendy reptile wire to bring the probe away from the wall whilst staying in place, squirt hasn’t bothered with them🙂this is her combometer sensor😊

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 1

Natalie44

Essex
This is a little tick we did, used bendy reptile wire to bring the probe away from the wall whilst staying in place, squirt hasn’t bothered with them🙂this is her combometer sensor😊
Ah thanks for the idea! That’s very creative…so hats off to you ☺️ I might get a background for our tort- know any safe glues I can use?

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Ah thanks for the idea! That’s very creative…so hats off to you ☺️ I might get a background for our tort- know any safe glues I can use?
Thanks😊
I’m not too sure on a safe adhesive to recommend as this background was ordered from a site that makes them for vivs, it had a sticky back.
I’m sure others will be able to help there though🙂