Basking lamp stat probe

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hampshire, England, UK
This may have been asked before..... but of those who use a dimming stat on their basking lamps like I am... where do you put the probe?
At the moment I'm testing, and have it on the side of the viv in line with the lamp, at floor level. If I set it to 28c, I get a temp of about 35-36 directly under the spot (an Arcadia 75watt halogen). But when it's first heating up, the spot gets a little warmer at around 40c, until the probe area hits 28, when the bulb dims. This doesn't take long.
The alternative is place the probe under the lamp, but this would necessitate burying the cable, then having it emerge under the lamp... and the tort will trample it!?
Any thoughts?

Thanks!! :)
John

EKLC

5 Year Member
Where did you get the dimming thermostat? I've only seen them online and they're usually expensive.

I would not worry about the basking spot. 75 W will establish a nice basking spot even at full power. I would put the probe in a spot away from the light, but not in the coolest spot, to ensure that the mid-range temperature does not exceed 86 f, for instance.

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
I bought it online, it's a habistat one, wasn't expensive, around £38 I think.
But you can get them in most reptile shops around here too.
If I have the basking lamp as high as it could go, without the stat, it creates a spot of about 56c though?!

EKLC

5 Year Member
johnreuk said:
I bought it online, it's a habistat one, wasn't expensive, around £38 I think.
But you can get them in most reptile shops around here too.
If I have the basking lamp as high as it could go, without the stat, it creates a spot of about 56c though?!

Yea, that's too hot. 43 c is what I go for for the basking spot. I guess you can't raise your bulb enough?

johnreuk

5 Year Member
Hampshire, England, UK
The viv is 21" high and that max temp is a high as it will go, it's a 5.5" Arcadia clamp lamp.
Thanks for the replies btw :)
Been having issues with my reptile radiator too (75watt)! Its too keep the ambient temp for my star at 26c. Placing the pulse proportional stat probe in the cool end, setting it at 26c, the radiator seems on all the time at night and reaches about 28c under the radiator, and 24 at the very far end away from it. During the day it's warmer since the basking bulb is on. Does that sound ok? Since I'll have the humidity reasonably high, didn't want temps below 26. At night the majority of the viv is 26-28, with the v far cool end being 24.

Status
Not open for further replies.