They are escape artists!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
My little male russian has been Very active the last few weeks. Cruising around and around his enclosure. Its about 3x5. Outdoors. Cinder block walls with a paving stone they set on.. so 7 inches high? I just came in from outside.. he was gone... MIA.. It must have just happened.. as I found him inthe grass a few feet away. I put him back in and he instantly went to the corner.. he was able to stretch and found a grip for his nails and pushed himself over the wall! There is now a corner piece to hopefully stop this again!
Just fyi!!!!!!

chadk

10 Year Member!
Yes, corners are easy peasy for torts to climb up - especially if the matiaral is rough. Concrete is the easiest. When in doubt, have the corners covered by something they can't pull down on the themselves, or push off...

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Yes they are, Mine try and climb up the sides, luckly mine are high enough that they get tired and give up. Mine are awake and only inside at night now, but they sure are trying to get out of their rabbit cages, climbing the sides non stop.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
As your noticed, once they know they can do something, they run right back over to do it again. :D Isn't it amazing how quickly they do climb.

As a precaution, all my outside pens' walls have inside lips to prevent them from climbing out.

Glad you found him right away, before he did the other thing they are good at...becoming invisible while right in front of your eyes. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.