Lethargic russian

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaketort

5 Year Member
Hello! My russian tort, whom I've had for about 7 months was very active and out going until about a week ago when I upgraded his enclosure. It's about 4x3 with wooden walls. I have his heat lamp in one corner that gets around 90 and his cool corner which he had been burrowing in and staying there sleeping gets around 70.
His appetite has not gone though. Is he sick? Or is it a temperature thing? Thanks for reading.
:tort:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! It could always just be stress, but let's check a few things out. Temperature issues are normally the first thing I would look to especially with him staying on the cool side so...

1) Have you rechecked them right at his surface level?
2) What are you using to check temperatures with?
3) How are you giving him that heat? What sort of time schedule are the heat providing and light sources on? What style of light bulb are you using?

After that we can move on to other thoughts. :)

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
Your basking temp needs to be up a little, around 95. I know my Russian won't get up and move around until it is around that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Jaketort, and welcome to the Forum!!

Tortoises are territorial. You have now placed him in a new territory. Until he figures out that there are no predators or other tortoises in this new territory, he's going to feel pretty uncomfortable and out of place. He should get used to the new digs soon. As long as he's still eating, that's the main thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.