they're mating:)

lynnefay

Location (City and/or State)
OREGON
tortoise sex.jpg
My husband sent me this while I was at work...why do I always miss the interesting stuff?
Anyway, Ivan and Betty were mating, making the weird noise and all. He snapped this shot right after they finished.
I have had Ivan 14 months, he is 4.75", wild caught. Betty I have had a year, she was hatched by a breeder and I was told she was 5 when I got her.
So, I am excited! Even if nothing happens with the eggs, I am just glad they feel comfortable in the home I am providing them. (I worry a lot).

OliveW

Branford, FL
@lynnefay I'm more intrigued by your profile picture. 😂

Don't laugh, I'm new to tortoise family, but what the heck is that? A tortoise butthole? :oops:

Congratulations on your torts mating. Now got to figure out what to do if you end up with a bunch of littles running around.

zolasmum

5 Year Member

Don't laugh, I'm new to tortoise family, but what the heck is that? A tortoise butthole? :oops:

Congratulations on your torts mating. Now got to figure out what to do if you end up with a bunch of littles running around.
Dear Lynnefay - I have been puzzling about your profile picture too !!!
Angie

lynnefay

OREGON

i took that photo when i got my first tortoise a year ago, posted it here to figure out the gender, lol. i thought it was funny and made it my profile picture:)

lynnefay

OREGON

what kind of tortosie do you have?

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
View attachment 348426
My husband sent me this while I was at work...why do I always miss the interesting stuff?
Anyway, Ivan and Betty were mating, making the weird noise and all. He snapped this shot right after they finished.
I have had Ivan 14 months, he is 4.75", wild caught. Betty I have had a year, she was hatched by a breeder and I was told she was 5 when I got her.
So, I am excited! Even if nothing happens with the eggs, I am just glad they feel comfortable in the home I am providing them. (I worry a lot).
Congrats on the mating! Nice torts. By the way, your female is definitely wild caught as well. You can tell by the way the shell looks and kind of the coloration too. How reliable was the person you bought her from?

JasperFossils

Holland
Congrats on the mating! Nice torts. By the way, your female is definitely wild caught as well. You can tell by the way the shell looks and kind of the coloration too. How reliable was the person you bought her from?
how do you know that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
View attachment 348426
They should never be housed in pairs. You can have 3 or 4 females and one male live together in a large pen but never just a pair. The male will constantly harass the female, and in some cases the larger females will turn the tables and attack the poor little male. They need separate enclosures and you can introduce them for breeding periodically. The chronic stress of living together as a pair will eventually lead to sickness or death.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
They should never be housed in pairs. You can have 3 or 4 females and one male live together in a large pen but never just a pair. The male will constantly harass the female, and in some cases the larger females will turn the tables and attack the poor little male. They need separate enclosures and you can introduce them for breeding periodically. The chronic stress of living together as a pair will eventually lead to sickness or death.
I second this

lynnefay

OREGON
i was told by the craiglist mom of the boy who was going of to college and didn't want her anymore. either way, we love Betty:)
they are NOT house in pairs. lol. i knew someone would say something. they have separate enclosures and were put together under supervision for 4 hours. i actually have two females and a male. they go outside when we are home and supervising. other than that, they each have separate 4x8 indoor enclosures. however, if Tom wants to explain to my husband that i really NEED another female, I won't say no:)

Last edited:

lynnefay

OREGON
i completely agree with this:) that is why i don't house them that way

Reactions: Tom

lynnefay

OREGON
also, excuse my typos. my arthritis is really acting up this week.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
how do you know that?
Yes please what things do you need to look for to determine wild caught from domestic bread. (Typo on purpose)
i was told by the craiglist mom of the boy who was going of to college and didn't want her anymore. either way, we love Betty:)

they are NOT house in pairs. lol. i knew someone would say something. they have separate enclosures and were put together under supervision for 4 hours. i actually have two females and a male. they go outside when we are home and supervising. other than that, they each have separate 4x8 indoor enclosures. however, if Tom wants to explain to my husband that i really NEED another female, I won't say no:)
The main thing I notice is the part on the shell where you can see the transition from wild growth to captive growth- from even, rigid growth to a sudden period of bright, yellow, and very smooth new growth. If it were a captive bred you would generally not see such a change in the growth anywhere. This is usually due to the influx of nutrition once they arrive in captivity, because in the wild they are feeding on a lot of nutrient-poor weeds and plants. Also, you can kind of tell with the coloration- when baby captive breds start off with a lot of black coloration as babies, that black color tends to ray out and kind of look like rays of the sun, or it fades into yellow quickly with the new growth. Your female has lots of black/grey coloration that continues along the shell. I don't know if what I'm saying makes sense lol, but hopefully someone can back me up. Either way, I just thought it was interesting to point out and the tortoise is beautiful regardless. :)