Think he may be unwell

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK Sheffield
I agree with dmmj. I was writing my post as he posted. See if a vet can do a fecal.

Daryn Blair

Right.. over the weekend I am going to look at constructing an enclosed home for the wee guy, and will take your advice to use a UVB strip light with CHE running 24/7, can someone help me out with what I need to buy? I have seen this light strip but have no idea how to power it? do I need to buy a separate cable or something?

http://www.reptilecentre.com/exo-te...3PRmLk7AMZMAVj51t0dEtRoCULLw_wcB#.V-zKLk1TFaQ

Thanks

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
You need a controller for the strip light. Something like this.
There are 2 types T5 or T8. Make sure you buy the correct controller for the bulb you buy. I use T5.
Also the bulbs cone in various lengths, all fit in the same controller, but you don't want to light the entire enclosure up. Aim for a light and darker side of your enclosure. For example in my 3ft long enclosure I have a 15" long uvb set at one end. Redfoots don't like it bright all over.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Make sure your bulb is a 5.0 and not a 10.0. 5.0 are not as bright.

Daryn Blair

Hi Anyfoot, thanks for your response.. did you mean to attach a link to the one I would require?

Also does a 5.0 strip mean 5% uvb? I'm guessing I would need a standard household timer for the strip light & a thermostat to control the CHE.

Cheers

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Also your CHE needs to be on a thermostat, in a closed chamber it will overheat and kill your Tortoise without a thermostat. It will also save you money on electricity as the CHE will probably only be running 50% of the time as it trips in and out to maintain your temps. Whilst your at it I would get an infrared red heat gun to check temps. They are about £10/£20 on eBay. No need to get an expensive one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
You need a fluorescent light fitting for the bulb. I think that one is a T8 (which refers to the tube diameter) and you obviously need the correct length.

You can buy fittings from reptile shops... or more cheaply from a DIY store like Homebase or B&Q

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
I should read into this because I've never looked into it myself, but basically the 5.0 gives out a lower uvb reading than a 10.0 but also a lower level of light, which is what we want for redfoots.

Daryn Blair

Okay so.. buy a light strip 5.0 roughly half the length of the enclosure, a timer to control it & one of them controllers.. will I get away without one of them strip light canopy things? they seem rather expensive.

Cheers

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Okay so.. buy a light strip 5.0 roughly half the length of the enclosure, a timer to control it & one of them controllers.. will I get away without one of them strip light canopy things? they seem rather expensive.

Cheers
I don't use any light canopy.

Daryn Blair

This should do till the weekend.. and yep i understand his light is useless in terms of uvb but atleast he is warm and humid.

Cheers

Attachments

• 1475171234079-908873444.jpg
    1475171234079-908873444.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 15

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Just make sure he stays WARM, cold and humid are a recipe for disaster as well.

Daryn Blair

Yeah i put his thermometer under where the lamp is and its sitting about 30 degrees with humidity about 75 just now..

Id imagine in his hide will be around 26/27 now its covered..should hopefully help him recover untill i build an enclosed one at the weekend :)

Daryn Blair

Quick update.. he is now in an enclosure i made from a kitchen cabinet i no longer needed.

I baught him all new lighting which is now on a timer and a thermostat running his che. Just waiting on his temps coming up :) this is his first night in it.

Attachments

• 20161009_184137.jpg
    20161009_184137.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 20161007_180733.jpg
    20161007_180733.jpg
    667.1 KB · Views: 14

Daryn Blair

Everyone has already given you excellent advice, I just wanted to add that feeding egg generally creates messy poop for tortoises.

I will aim to change his protein source to chicken or something similar in this case to make sure it does not happen again.

I have a feeling it was a temperature issue because I had previously fed egg on a number of occasions and everything was fine.

Thanks though.

Travis

Wisconsin, USA
What type of 'lettuce' was that in his area? If it's iceberg lettuce, stop feeding him that as it has zero nutritional value. A good start for food for him would be the "Spring Mix" salad stuff you can find at grocery stores.