Thinking about a sulcata, leo, or CH

Romeo Serback

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
I'm thinking of getting either a leopard, sulcata, or cherryhead and since I reside in NJ, I'm obviously unable to let him roam outdoors during the winter. Do you guys recommend a pond tub or a kiddie pool for a few years until I move down south? Would it be suitable for 4 years? And how would I retain the humidity for a baby in that type of open enclosure? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thank you!

Erik Elvis

Delaware
well if your willing to throw a little money down you can look at animal plastic cages but shipped the 8x3 comes out to about $900. and that doesn't include your lighting of heat. https://apcages.com/collections/terrestrial-cages/products/t70-96l-x-36w-x-24h a cheaper alternative would be buying one of those plastic trough things from tractor supply or like store and covering it with an amazon 3x6 greenhouse. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...foam-stock-tanks-50-gal-capacity?cm_vc=-10005

of course the even cheaper alternative would be a kiddie pool but you would have to rig up a shower curtain or something overtop to contain the lights and moisture. you could do that with a simple pvc pipe frame.

on "average"(it can vary widely) I would say you can get 2-3 years out of a 8x3 for a sulcata or leopard. longer for a redfoot. but it really entirely depends on the individual tortoise. some are really fast growers. I believe I had a dry started sulcata so he's a slow grower. I'm hoping I can get another 2 years out of an 8x3 as he's already about 2 now.

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Thanks for the info! Unfortunately I didn't hit the lottery, so I'm going for the mid range priced enclosure that I'll probably have to rig myself. I will consider your option.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
An open top is never going to hold the humidity you need. I used a xmas tree tote from Wal-Mart. This would last a hatchling RF a yr maybe two. Screenshot_2018-07-09-06-27-38-1.png 20180514_174849.jpg

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
Great idea! And it's easy to cut a hole at the top. Two years would be perfect. What's your substrate? And thank you for the feedback!

Erik Elvis

Delaware
Ahhh yes. Why I didn’t think of adding a clothes container to my list is beyond me. I use one now for one of my torts!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Look into pop up green houses or raised garden beds. The totes work good, but for two years it's pushing it and for sure not 4 years.

daniellenc

Maryland
Maybe a smaller species for 4 years but none of the ones mentioned by you. My RF at a year is too big for a tote now and they’re smaller than leopards or sulcatas. Hence waiting on my AP cage myself. Thankfully he gets out 3-5 hours a day and his cage comes in August!

Romeo Serback

New Jersey
I guess I'll have to build a bigger enclosure. I'll have at least a year or two to construct it. I love leopards and cherryheads though.