Thinking about getting another. Need advice.

TimCarpenter93

Hey I have had my tortoise for just about a year now. He is about 4 years old and think he is a boy.

I have been thinking for a while I want another tortoise to live in with him.

I have seen that I would need to get the same breed and about the same age and size.

Is there anything else I would need to know before I get myself a second or should I just have the one?

Many thanks

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Don't do it. One is the best number. Two is the worst.

What kind of tortoise do you have? Some do well in groups, but very few do well in pairs. A group would consist of one male and two or three females, or several females and no males. You don't know the gender of your tortoise yet.

A new tortoise would require months of quarantine. Then that separation may need to become permanent. Bullying is common and easy to miss. Many of us have been disappointed when our pairs and even groups didn't work.

tortdad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NW Houston TX
A tortoise is a solitary animal and does not need or want a "friend". All you will do is creat undo stress on your torts which can lead to sickness and death. As stated above, some species (like Redfoot) do well in small herds. If you want another one go get it, just put it in its own enclosure.

0.0.1 Redfoot (Spike)
0.0.1 Cherryhead Redfoot (Bruce Wayne)
1.0 Sulcata (Hal Jordan)

TimCarpenter93

Thank you. I have a Hermann's tortoise and have seen them in pairs a lot so thought it would be okay. But mine has been on his own for just a under a year he was with others when I got him.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Groups of hermanni can sometimes do okay. Mixed groups of babies or juveniles are usually fine. As adults, one male and a few females in a large, well designed enclosure can sometimes work, but not always.

Pairs almost never work at any age. Its too unnatural and too personal.

Why do you want another one? For you, or for your tortoise? If you want another one, just set up another habitat and you are good to go. If you think your tortoise wants company, then don't do it. They don't want, like, or need company in any way, as everyone above has already pointed out.

TimCarpenter93

I just wanted another one for me but haven't got the room for another enclosure so wanted to see if I could keep a 2nd with the tortoise I have. I think I will hold off and just get a second when I have the room for a separate enclosure. :).