Thinking of adopting either an aldabra or a sulcata.

Lacedaemon

I don't plan on getting either for some months or so. I want to have plenty of time to research and mull the decision over, but I have some questions.

The yard I have is about 45x25. Is this a reasonable amount to keep a sulcata or the much larger aldabra ethically? He would have the entire yard to himself, plus a ~15x15 shed. I plan on getting a hatchling, and I do expect to be moving to have a larger backyard in five years or so, but I know these species grow quickly.

Also, what is a rough estimate of upkeep? I'm not too worried about it, but I'm curious. I know it has to be pretty varied between the two. The only estimate I could find anywhere said $40/week, which seems doable, but then they said they just give them fruits and vegetables, which seems wrong based off what I've read.

If my space is okay, which species should I get? I much prefer the look and size of the Aldabra, and I've read they're less destructive. If I have to, I can handle digging, plowing into things, destroying siding, and moving patio furniture, but if Aldabras are more chill, it's just better. I'm aware that Aldabras cost upwards of $2,000, are difficult to come by, and usually require long driving to get, but I don't want that to be a factor in my decision. Those are one-time considerations for a lifetime pet. The only reason I would consider a sulcata is if my backyard space is more appropriate for them if at all.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Edit: I also live in Virginia Beach. Is the climate all right for either? Obviously I will have the shed set up for the tort's comfort.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Me personally, that is not enough room for an adult of either kind.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Both of those species do best when they can live outdoors with lots of room for most of the year when they are older and bigger. In Virginia, you will have months of cold weather that will prevent this, so these giant tortoises will be stuck in a 15x15' shed for months at a time. I don't think that is ideal.

Also, growth rates vary a lot. I have a 5 year old female sulcata that is over 50 pounds and 21". 25x45' is a good size when they are juveniles at 10-15", but they will need more room than that as they grow. My 3 year old sulcatas are 15" and I grow them fairly slowly in comparison to some other folks.

It sounds to me like you have all the right intentions, but your climate and space limitations will need to be addressed if you really want to go forward with this.

@Turtulas-Len keeps sulcatas in Virginia. He can share first hand experience with you on this subject. It can be done, but he's gone to the trouble of custom build the proper heated facilities to make it happen.

Read these before you buy a hatchling from anyone:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/hatchling-failure-syndrome.23493/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-incubate-eggs-and-start-hatchlings.124266/

Most people do not start hatchlings correctly, and the result is deadly and heart breaking. Buy from the right source.

This one might help too:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

And here is the sulcata info, if you end up going that route:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

Lacedaemon

Thanks, guys! I actually started more serious research fairly recently, but for all the searching and reading, for some reason I couldn't find any kind of rule of thumb for space guidelines at all. I'll definitely have a larger backyard in the next few years, but if the current space isn't appropriate for even a youth, maybe I should hold off for some years. I've been wanting the sulcata or aldabra for a handful of years now, but if I can't provide the proper care, that's the most important thing.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. My personal opinion, it's plenty big enough for about five years. I don't have a sulcata, but my leopards have a very big yard and they only use the outer perimeters of it. Tortoises, from what I have read and with my own wonder the fence line more then the middle. That doesn't mean they don't need a large enclosure though. The biggest concern for you in my opinion is the cost of heating a large shed for when it is older and larger and has to be house during the winter months in it. Mine is heated by lights and an oil filled space heater and is very well insulated. My electric bill is between 250.00 and 385.00 for winter. About 85.00 of the bill is my house. Of course it will depend on the cost of your electric and how cold you get and for how long, compared to me in Chicago

nyejoshua

My sulcata is about 5 years old and 25 lbs (best guess - I rescued her two years ago and she has grown 5 lbs per year). She roams a grassy yard about 500 sq ft and is completely happy. Eventually we will need more space but we have time. I am not an expert so I can't say what the absolute requirements are for space. I can say that a comfortable house that she can come and go to freely and abundant grass to eat is key to a happy, healthy tort. I live in Florida, so heating is less of an issue for me.

I can say that I love my sulcata. If you are focusing on the Aldabra for its size, I would consider that a limiting factor rather than a plus. I also have small Horsefield's tortoises and they are a ton of fun and require less space and food than a large tort. Also, my sulcata is a female and a mellow one at that. I have seen some large, aggressivemale sulcatas that seem like a real handful. But as with any breed, a lot has to do with the individual animal. If you are getting a hatchling, the temperament of the tort you end up with really is luck-of-the-draw.