Thinking of getting a snapper hatchling!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Hampshire
Well, I've got a few empty tanks, and one of which I'm thinking of getting a baby Common Snapper for one.

I know they get big and will later on need a large enclosure, but I was wondering a few things about them!

I've caught snappers in the wild my whole life (Not to keep, of course. Just to observe and such.) and know a lot about them..But not raising them! How fast do they grow? Are they able to be tanked with any other turtles? Are their diets much different than say, a Stinkpots?

Looking forward to any advice or tips. :]

Also, I've browsed many sites that I trust and purchase from..Yet can't find any Snapper hatchlings for sale? Anyone know where I could find a CB one? Or a breeder in New England?

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
(chelydra.org) is the best website I've ever seen for snappers.
They're growth is very, very slow compared to, say a soft-shell. Slower then any other turtle I've raised. Also, turtle source sells CB common and florida snappers, for pretty cheap. That would be a good place to buy.

As far as being tanked with other turtles...Thats difficult. I've personally kept snappers with soft shells, because they are both pretty mild. The soft-shells stay completely buried in the sand 95% of the time, and the snapper does also. The snapper is about half the size, however, but there has never been any aggression. I know several people that keep them with all kinds of turtles...But it just might happen that their tank-mates leg or tail is considered a worm...and then you have a problem. So, yes, they CAN be housed with other turtles, but you must excercise common sense and caution.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
There are common snapper hatchlings on Kingsnake at the moment for $20.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Oh, very nice find, Harris.

And Peter, thanks for the advice. Slow growth kind of works for me, as it gives me more time and leeway. I was thinking for an outdoors (Or heck, even indoors) enclosure later on, one of those watering basins for horses? I know they come quite large, and I could easily get one from family, as we have many horses in the family.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Nixxy said:
Oh, very nice find, Harris.

And Peter, thanks for the advice. Slow growth kind of works for me, as it gives me more time and leeway. I was thinking for an outdoors (Or heck, even indoors) enclosure later on, one of those watering basins for horses? I know they come quite large, and I could easily get one from family, as we have many horses in the family.

Stock tanks are wonderful. They make them up to 1100 gallons...But it will be 10 years (Or more) til you need a tank that size. Snappers can be easily maintained inside for 3-4 years, if not more. Also, although I hate recommending small size for anything...Snappers don't need as much room as other turtles. They are not very active. The 350 gallon size stock tank is sufficient to house a common snapper (or florida) for quite a long time. Eventually, either the 1100 gallon (8x8 foot circle) will be needed, or an outdoor pond, but that is a LONG way down the road. I would start a hatchling out in a 75 gallon, as it would be sufficient to house it for several years.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
If you truly want to make a PET of your young snapper start with a small aquarium like a 10 gallon, if it is a new hatchling this is big enough for a while, set it up with lots of plants and other things, to give it places to hide in and browse around in.What ever you feed it, at first include several different types of floating pelleted food as the main diet, this way it will start recognizing you as the food source and will in time start to beg for more food when you are in sight of the tank. Handling it often when it is young will make it easier to handle when it gets big, if you are lucky you will get a male which will stay much much smaller than a female, They make great additions to a collection if you have room for them. You will have to increase the tank size as it grows but try to use a glass tank as long as possible so you can see it and it can see you at the same time. If you were close I have a baby I would give you.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Sounds like a snapper will be a good fit for me.

I don't have any 10 gallons around, but I can get one easy. I have a 30 gal tank I'm not using, and when it's needed can easily get a 1100 stock tank and 350 for before that.

Would a 30 gal be too big to start for a baby?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Nixxy said:
Sounds like a snapper will be a good fit for me.

I don't have any 10 gallons around, but I can get one easy. I have a 30 gal tank I'm not using, and when it's needed can easily get a 1100 stock tank and 350 for before that.

Would a 30 gal be too big to start for a baby?

No, there is really no such thing as to big when it comes to snappers or any tortoise or turtle, but it makes it easier to get him to recognize you as the food source when he is confined a little, and not just finding it randomly in the tank by chance.

Nixxy

5 Year Member
New Hampshire
Heh. Maybe I can get him into hand feeding young like I did my Stinkpot.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
You will fall in love with it the moment you get it. They are one of my favorite species to raise from a hatchling to an adult.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Nixxy said:
Heh. Maybe I can get him into hand feeding young like I did my Stinkpot.

I have a stinkpot also, he and the snapper are sleeping together along with a cumberland slider this winter, when they wake up they will still be together, Like harriis said you will enjoy raising one.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
They grow very quickly if fed well and kept warm. I agree with what Len said about getting them used to you and making them more interactive/tame as pets.

I used to raise huge groups of these when I lived in PA. I always had hundreds on hand from the time I was a pre-teen until I started college.

RedfootsRule

5 Year Member
Miami, Florida
Baoh said:
They grow very quickly if fed well and kept warm. I agree with what Len said about getting them used to you and making them more interactive/tame as pets.

I used to raise huge groups of these when I lived in PA. I always had hundreds on hand from the time I was a pre-teen until I started college.

How fast would you say? Most growth charts show 12-14 inches in around 15-20 years....I think of that as very, very slow. I suppose they do grow pretty rapidly the first 2-4 years, but after that it seems verrry slow. Does your experience differ? I've never had the chance to raise any to adulthood, as none of mine are that old yet.

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
RedfootsRule said:
How fast would you say? Most growth charts show 12-14 inches in around 15-20 years....I think of that as very, very slow. I suppose they do grow pretty rapidly the first 2-4 years, but after that it seems verrry slow. Does your experience differ? I've never had the chance to raise any to adulthood, as none of mine are that old yet.

12-14" in a year is more like it.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Gerards said:
RedfootsRule said:

12-14" in a year is more like it.

Indeed.

I never had one grow so slowly that it did not reach 6" scl well before being a yearling and I have had some in the 12" range. This was with them raised in groups. If I increased the temperature, isolated individuals, and fed even more heavily, I could have probably achieved even greater growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.