Thinking of getting another tortoise

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California (OC)
Hi everyone,

We're thinking of getting another tortoise to add to our family, possibly a baby golden greek tortoise. In October 2017, we received Spike, a baby ibera greek tortoise, as our first pet together! He was bought from Tortoise Supply when he was (roughly) 2 months old, and so far, he's been thriving and seemingly happy and healthy under our care.

He is currently 1.6 years old and weighs in at 306 grams, and seems to be enjoying sunny SoCal living.

IMG_2124.JPG

I was wondering if there are differences I should be aware of in taking care of a golden greek relative to an ibera greek. We're planning on getting the golden greek from Tortoise Supply again, since that's where we got Spike from. If there is a care sheet found on tortoise forum, please point me towards it so I can learn more! Thanks so much.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are to be kept in their separate enclosures. Tortoises are not to be kept in pairs and they do not want a friend. Keep that in mind. Do you have the room for 2 proper sized enclosures inside and out?

chemprentice

5 Year Member
Southern California (OC)
They are to be kept in their separate enclosures. Tortoises are not to be kept in pairs and they do not want a friend. Keep that in mind. Do you have the room for 2 proper sized enclosures inside and out?

Yup, we plan on having a separate enclosure set up for the new tortoise. We've started Spike out in a 3' x 2' enclosure when he was a baby and plan on doing the same for the new one.