Third enclosure in less than a year!

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
We had a Vet visit today ImageUploadedByTortForum1382192966.547013.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1382192982.011259.jpg
We used a insulated cooler with a magic bag you warm up in the microwave. Have a towel over top of heat bag! He also decided to have a nice big poop for us on the way to the vet so we had his stool tested. But man what a smelly ride there and back

Last edited by a moderator:

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
ImageUploadedByTortForum1382216862.095931.jpg
I added a web cam to my sulcata's enclosure for while I'm away[SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

Mgridgaway

5 Year Member
Maryland
Really great looking enclosure! I was trying to look up that Flex Coat stuff but it seems like it's a CA only thing... would've loved to have that on my build.

janevicki

10 Year Member!
Near Disneyland
You did a great job on your enclosure! You really built it well thought out. Congrats!:D

tortwalt

5 Year Member
How much do you think it cost you to build this?

Also how much did the thermostat cost you to make?

That enclosure gives me inspiration for when mine out grows my 75!

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
tortwalt said:
How much do you think it cost you to build this?

Also how much did the thermostat cost you to make?

That enclosure gives me inspiration for when mine out grows my 75!

The cost was high 1500 sucks! I spent over a 2 and half month too build it but it was needed. 10' 6" long 4' wide 36" high means$$ to do it right.

As for the thermostat 25 buck to build! Works good too.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
ImageUploadedByTortForum1388614621.656471.jpg

here is a snap shot of squirt using a Mobil web cam

Sh3wulf

5 Year Member
Just read through this whole thread and loved the progress images. Thanks for posting!! Have you managed to get your humidity up?
I'm looking at a build this spring, cause our enclosure was built for the old school dry method (bad) and hasn't held up to the humidity. Going to try and recycle as much as possible, but this has inspired me immensely!
Would love to pick your brain on some of the mechanics of the set up. Like is the glass on the front sliding, is there anything you would recommend doing differently?

bellamia

5 Year Member
Looks fantastic !! Great job !!
I'm also building at the moment just wondering did the sealer you used smell bad or emit gasses ?? I'm not sure what stain to use.

captain

Ontario
love it, really great ideas, can't wait to build my own, really awesome job!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've been wanting to paint my kitchen grey with cream-colored cupboard doors. I see a bit of it in your picture. It gives me a better picture in my mind of the color scheme.

Your tortoise is a beauty!

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
bellamia said:
Looks fantastic !! Great job !!
I'm also building at the moment just wondering did the sealer you used smell bad or emit gasses ?? I'm not sure what stain to use.

I used a rv roof sealer it's the smell is not two bad I waited a few weeks before I put my sulcata into his new encloser

Sh3wulf said:
Just read through this whole thread and loved the progress images. Thanks for posting!! Have you managed to get your humidity up?
I'm looking at a build this spring, cause our enclosure was built for the old school dry method (bad) and hasn't held up to the humidity. Going to try and recycle as much as possible, but this has inspired me immensely!
Would love to pick your brain on some of the mechanics of the set up. Like is the glass on the front sliding, is there anything you would recommend doing differently?

The only thing I would consider is using thicker plex glass maybe 1/2" or so

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
Yvonne G said:
I've been wanting to paint my kitchen grey with cream-colored cupboard doors. I see a bit of it in your picture. It gives me a better picture in my mind of the color scheme.

Your tortoise is a beauty!

Thank you!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
All I can say is your tortoise is a one very lucky fellow.

julietteq

5 Year Member
Amsterdam. Netherlands
I have found out that there is no need for a closed table as long as you use real live grass sods as bedding and put in plenty of live plants in the enclosure. The grass and the plants provide all the humidity the torts need. It gives the tortoises more air circulation and minimizes the chance of shell rot and or other fungus problems. However, you will need a green thumb to take care of the grass and the plants !

Vet

Oklahoma City, OK (USA)
I love this enclosure! Giving me great ideas for when my 3.5wk old sully hatchling grows out of his 50 gallon tub. For humidity here is an idea for you... we use a human humidifier its actually the vicks warm steam one ($30 @ WM)...we used some flexible hose (also WM) and dremeled a hole on the side of our enclosure for it to enter through the hose...the vents on the humidifier we used water proof metal ducktape. It brought our humidity up from 65% to 95% in 20mins... so we have it coming on for 30 mins (takes 10mins to warm up) and then off an hr on another 30mins 24/7 via a $6 timer. The condensation dripping down keeps everything nice and moist. Just an option for you