This forum has me questioning my YF!

BaconandEggs

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
For 2 years now I've been happily believing that I owned a RF and YF tort...until I joined this forum this weekend and started reading about the markings of YF! Everything on her seems to scream YF except her head markings. I don't see the 2 rounds, only 1....is she too young for it to develop? She just hit 2 years old and measures 5.5. Thanks!20150803_195359.jpg FB_IMG_1438551527287.jpg

domalle

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
For 2 years now I've been happily believing that I owned a RF and YF tort...until I joined this forum this weekend and started reading about the markings of YF! Everything on her seems to scream YF except her head markings. I don't see the 2 rounds, only 1....is she too young for it to develop? She just hit 2 years old and measures 5.5. Thanks!View attachment 141973 View attachment 141974

Stay happy.
Yellowfoot on right in picture. Apparent redfoot on left. Anybody says otherwise, hang up on them.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
Her head may be a tad dry, making the scales harder to see. Carapace looks very yellow footed to me - a shot of the plastron will confirm.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Carapace and plastron can be a way to ID in secondary measures for dendiculata(Yellowfoots) but the only definitive measure is the prefrontal scales from the nose to eyes. They can be skewed from time to time which is what yours appears to represent. That most definitely is a yellowfoot on the right and carbonaria (Redfoot on the left)

BaconandEggs

Northern California
Thanks so much everyone!! Just reading about the different types and how some RF have yellow markings made me question everything!