This has probably been asked before

avocado_fresh111

Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
What is the best substrate for Russian tortoises that is also fairly cheep? I have read so much and I am so confused right now. I found a large block of expandable coconut coir for cheep, and I've read that that will work. I've heard that you want cypress mulch or hay or something on top to provide a more sturdy walking area that's easy to dig through, and I've also heard some negative things against this. What's your guys's opinions?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What is the best substrate for Russian tortoises that is also fairly cheep? I have read so much and I am so confused right now. I found a large block of expandable coconut coir for cheep, and I've read that that will work. I've heard that you want cypress mulch or hay or something on top to provide a more sturdy walking area that's easy to dig through, and I've also heard some negative things against this. What's your guys's opinions?
For babies, coco coir works best. It is messy, but if you use a thick layer and hand pack it down, it settles in after a couple of weeks. For adults, fine grade orchid bark works best. I buy this in bulk at local garden centers.

No sand. No soil. No hay. Cypress mulch is okay too, but not my favorite. I don't like the large, sharp pieces or the swampy smell, and the batches of cypress I've tried were very dirty and required a lot of rinsing before use.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I like coco coir and fir bark. I agree with Tom about the cypress mulch. I tried cypress mulch and did not like it.