Status
Not open for further replies.

Ethan D

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Ethan D said:
well, if you have a basking bulb, just get a long uvb tube 10.0, they are like 20$, and some come with the fixture for like 40-50$

Like I said I've got a budget! Maybe another type of bulb!

Return the bulb you got and buy the long UVB tube with the money you payed for that one, or return that bulb, and save your money until you can get a MVB or long fluorescent tube :/ sorry

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
A half hour a day outside for UVB should be fine for now. Use a regular incandescent spot for basking inside.

I'm not saying you should use the coil lamp (that's up to you), but I wouldn't disregard the idea either. Do your own research and then make up your mind. Before you jump on the MVB bandwagon, you should do research into those as well. They have been known to cause problems too.

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Palmdale CA
jaizei said:
A half hour a day outside for UVB should be fine for now. Use a regular incandescent spot for basking inside.

I'm not saying you should use the coil lamp (that's up to you), but I wouldn't disregard the idea either. Do your own research and then make up your mind. Before you jump on the MVB bandwagon, you should do research into those as well. They have been known to cause problems too.

Will he hurt my 8 year old russian tortoise's eyes?

I mean will *it* hurt his eyes

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You don't need artificial indoor UV if your tortoise is getting outside regularly and getting real sunshine. You live in a great area for this. Lack of uv is not what cause the shell to pyramid. That comes from dehydration and dryness.

Sulcatas are not good indoor tortoises. They need to be outdoors all day once they are around a year old. My babies get an hour or two a day, and gradually more as they get larger. You need to start planning for this. If you are going to have a sulcata, you are going to need an indoor and an outdoor enclosure for them. I'm willing to help you with this and teach you how to do it.

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
Tom said:
You don't need artificial indoor UV if your tortoise is getting outside regularly and getting real sunshine. You live in a great area for this. Lack of uv is not what cause the shell to pyramid. That comes from dehydration and dryness.

Sulcatas are not good indoor tortoises. They need to be outdoors all day once they are around a year old. My babies get an hour or two a day, and gradually more as they get larger. You need to start planning for this. If you are going to have a sulcata, you are going to need an indoor and an outdoor enclosure for them. I'm willing to help you with this and teach you how to do it.

Hey tom my guys are almost a year old and well i still have them inside at night when they sleep but theyre out all day in the sun, so i want to build an outdoor house or should i wait till theyre a bit bigger? Or do you have any ideas for outdoor enclosure that wont kill grass?

NinjaTortoises

5 Year Member
Cali
TortoiseBoy1999 said:
Is this ok?

Thats perfect , thats what i use, but they get sun now so its not really useful for me unless its raining or cold

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
NinjaTortoises said:
Tom said:

Hey tom my guys are almost a year old and well i still have them inside at night when they sleep but theyre out all day in the sun, so i want to build an outdoor house or should i wait till theyre a bit bigger? Or do you have any ideas for outdoor enclosure that wont kill grass?

There are some ideas in my signature. Let's talk in PMs or on a new thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.