This is the end...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Another thread from me w/out photos. So on Tuesday evenig I took some box turtles up to the local Wildlife people startled I went to the local Wildlife Refuge with box turtles only because that's what their talk was about... so I brought six box turtles and I asked my neighbor to close the shed...Mary takes herself to bed at about 6 so about out 7 or so if you think about it go close the doggie door and the big people door please. So I did my talk up there and then the next morning it's cold (43)and foggy and I wasn't going to let tortoises out so I I just didn't think about them, so about NOON I went into the shed and Mary wasn't there and then I freaked out and I went running around like a like a crazy person and I couldn't find her and you know it's not like I got acres and so I slow down take a deep breath...so I went place by place looking and she was in the farthest place away from where she should be... there's no way for me to tell if she got stuck there and couldn't make her six o'clock bedtime or if she wedged herself in there after it got dark and cold but she was stuck between a doggie door ramp, not hers and cedar fence... she was blocked in so tight that I was scared I wasn't going to get her out but I'll tell you what... I became freaking Superwoman that tortoise was so cold she was so still I thought she was dead except her eyes were moving. I jerked and pulled and she was cold and not fighting me..SuperWoman so I yanked her up and thru her into the shed under IUD or whatever and she stayed there without moving for about 5 hours and I started to get scared cuz every time I went I touched her she was warm under where the light was hitting but if I put my hands on her sides man she was just like a refrigerator, so I pumped up the ambient heat and I went and picked the last Rose of Sharon and took them in there and I said Okay God let's let's save this tortoise and I put those Rose of Sharon in front of Mary and TA DA! Purple food will get her every time...lol and I bet she had them gone on in 5 minutes and there was a gigantic stack of them. I checked to make sure the woman has closed the door she was supposed to close, but I didn't check to make sure everybody was in there so this is another lesson from Grandma Maggie make sure your tortoises are in place before you go to bed amen oh and by the way what I meant by this is the end (Doors) Mary Knobbins has no access to my tires anymore. It's time...but it's only time if I can't find a 16" tire...Anybody?100_2916.JPG
Petie in the turtle hide...lolDSCN0279.JPG

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
Interesting that you use an intrauterine device to heat your tortoises (IUD). Most people use either a CHE, Ceramic Heat Emitter, or a RHP, Radiant Heat Panel.

😇😇
OMG I was thinking the same thing! LOL

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
glad she is ok. Mistakes happen and we learn from them.

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
Not at all what Im trying to say is you said I hope some new keeper will learn by my mistakes . That has happened to me several times as a direct result of reading your post about Mary. I changed my enclosure design because of your Mary stories and downsized my herd to a very manageable number after you had offered me advice. I guess I should have explained that before I posted.Ive learned a lot of valuable information from this forum and would never post any negative or detrimental to anyone and especially to the well informed well known members