Thoughts and opinions on outdoor enclosure

Rover15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ontario canada
Im looking mainly for suggestions on a plant for inbetween the post that will be high enough to create shade and a hide, but also safe for my box turtles to eat. This picture is taken at about 5 30pm it is almost covered in shade by now, but full sun from about 9am till 430 once the shade comes in. The walls provide some shade. The hides offer retreats, from the sun.

I plan on buying the plant, and adding 2 more large plant saucers for additional water in different spots. Also i will be finishing the lid as well this weekend.

Any and all suggestions welcomed thank you in advance20180430_172336.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Im looking mainly for suggestions on a plant for inbetween the post that will be high enough to create shade and a hide, but also safe for my box turtles to eat. This picture is taken at about 5 30pm it is almost covered in shade by now, but full sun from about 9am till 430 once the shade comes in. The walls provide some shade. The hides offer retreats, from the sun.

I plan on buying the plant, and adding 2 more large plant saucers for additional water in different spots. Also i will be finishing the lid as well this weekend.

Any and all suggestions welcomed thank you in advanceView attachment 237343

Go with a variegated red twig dogwood or any type of dogwood shrub. They are non toxic, full, and can be shaped to your liking. They can get up to 3-8ft depending on species and give great under cover. Ornamental grasses are another option. If it’s a low light area then go with Hostas, they give great weeping under cover.

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Go with a variegated red twig dogwood or any type of dogwood shrub. They are non toxic, full, and can be shaped to your liking. They can get up to 3-8ft depending on species and give great under cover. Ornamental grasses are another option. If it’s a low light area then go with Hostas, they give great weeping under cover.

For low lighting areas ferns are great too especially ostrich ferns, however they will spread rapidly after a year or so...

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
For low lighting areas ferns are great too especially ostrich ferns, however they will spread rapidly after a year or so...
3ft might be my limit, i will have to meassure again but im sure at the lowest spot its 24-30" and the way i plan on building my lid might ad 4-6"

However i feel i will need full sun as its sun from 8ish 9 till about 5pm in the area i want to plant

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
I have certain kind of hostas that can handle the sun exposure during that time so long as you give the enclosure plenty of water. You can use strawberry plants, Day lilies, monkey grass, Shasta daisies(they will spread like wild fires), etc....if it was me I would go with some form of sedge or fountain grass

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I have certain kind of hostas that can handle the sun exposure during that time so long as you give the enclosure plenty of water. You can use strawberry plants, Day lilies, monkey grass, Shasta daisies(they will spread like wild fires), etc....if it was me I would go with some form of sedge or fountain grass
Thank you you have given me lots to research amd see what they look like amd what is easily avalible to me. I assume not being from canada that you wouldnt know any online source that ships in Canada eh?

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thank you you have given me lots to research amd see what they look like amd what is easily avalible to me. I assume not being from canada that you wouldnt know any online source that ships in Canada eh?

Depending on your hardiness zone, you should be able to find some of these plants at a local greenery in Canada. If some of these are not provided then go with a perennial that Good for your zone. Most of the plants there are specifically for those nearby zones. Tropical plants sold at these places are strictly to keep indoors or for seasonal...hope this helps.

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
I tried to search my hardiness zone and got answers of :
Hamilton
1961-1990 zone 6a

1981-2010 zone
6b

1961-1990 hardiness index 63

1981-1990hardiness index 69

I really like the daylilies and it says they can handle more than 6 hours full sun, are the fallen/withered flowers safe for box turtles to eat??

Bambam1989

East Texas
You may try finding heuchera.
I believe they would be suitable for your zone and come in a variety of leaf colors. They are safe for torts and turtles although I don't think they taste good to most of them.

Bambam1989

East Texas
This plant is at least 4-5 years old. I have seen them for sale in my area in gallon pots but don't know if they would be available in your area in that size.
If you are interested in something faster growing, I can think on it and probably come up with something else.

Bambam1989

East Texas
You may also look into a weigela bush. There are lots of varieties/ sizes. I don't have one, but I know they like sun and are drought tolerant.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
here is my outdoor enclosure when it is in full greenery. Hostas, Ferns, Grasses, Lamium, Pachysandra, Strawberries... etc..

turtpenjuly2016_zps77kxhgwa.jpg

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
This plant is at least 4-5 years old. I have seen them for sale in my area in gallon pots but don't know if they would be available in your area in that size.
If you are interested in something faster growing, I can think on it and probably come up with something else.
That would be great, ill be looking through the week, and hopefully purchasing this weekend