Thoughts on owning 2 Russian tortoises?

Janelle Green

Location (City and/or State)
Colorado
I currently have a male Russian tortoise named Franklin and I am just crazy about him and would love to get another tortoise one day but am reading online that it's not a good idea their better kept alone . Anyone's thoughts on this? Does anyone own 2 Russian tortoises together ?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is great to own 2! Just house them separately.

Tortoises should not be housed in pairs, and Russians especially, should never be housed in pairs.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Ok so just another enclosure ? Would I have to do two different outdoor enclosures as well?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Your outdoor enclosure would have to be large, lots of sight barriers, lots of different places to hide. And well planted so they don't have to go to one place to eat.
You can buy tortoise seed mixes that grow really well. I grow them in the outdoor enclosure and then also indoors in the winter. 

Janelle Green

Colorado
I can let them out at separate times as well . I saw the seed mix packets online last night so excited ordering some this week. I don't know if I'll stick with the same kind the Russian or get a different if I do a different species they won't be sharing time in outside enclosure . would stay with the smaller of the tortoise species

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
You don't want to mix species, even if they are in the same enclosure but at different times. They have different kinds of parasites and they can contaminate each other and make each other sick. I have one adult Russian that I've had for a few years now, and I just got a hatchling Russian. They are kind of addicting. Russians are the prettiest tortoises but they sure have a ton of personality.

Janelle Green

Colorado
They do have such a great personality and I think my climate is better for a Russian that's why I went with that choice. Do you have one male and female ? I just love mine so much I could have tons of them if I was allowed lol. It would be really neat to own one of the larger species , I follow a few owners on Instagram so jealous of them lol. How old is your hatchling? I read hatchlings are hard and a lot die ?

Janelle Green

Colorado
It was between the hermmans or Russians for me and I'm glad I went with the Russian he is adorable I love the look of them and Franklin loves head rubs sticks his whole head out the longer the rub the more his head comes out its adorable

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
My older Russian is a female. Wild caught no clue of her age. My hatchling is a month old. Won't know if it's a boy or a girl for a few years. I've given all my tortoises male names and they've all turned out to be female. Oh well.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you get a second tortoise they must be kept entirely separately in quarantine for at least 6 months to make sure that neither makes the other sick.

Russians fight nasty so separate outdoor enclosures may well be a necessity.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I love my Russian! But if you want two, you must be committed to housing them entirely searately. I have a large outdoor space and still wouldn't put another tortoise in there! They are scrappy little things.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Thank u all for the great advice :) my tortoise was most likely wild caught as well, I got him at scales n tales in Fort Collins they couldn't tell me a thing about him. When I decide to get another I will definitely keep them separated outside as well

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
As has been said, you'd have to keep them separated. Torts do not need/want/like company. :rolleyes:

Please keep us updated and good luck.:D

Janelle Green

Colorado
I've read that hatchlings are hard and chances are survival are not good . Anyone have/had a hatchling what's it like?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I've read that hatchlings are hard and chances are survival are not good . Anyone have/had a hatchling what's it like?

Not true. Hatchlings are not difficult at all if they are set up correctly. I've raised dozens. Chances of survival are very good if they are housed and hydrated correctly. Hatchlings have less room for error than an adult, but the same error will eventually kill an adult too.

Janelle Green

Colorado
Oh great glad to hear that think if I got a second tortoise I might want a hatchling to make sure it's captive bred and their just so dang adorable

Janelle Green

Colorado
My older Russian is a female. Wild caught no clue of her age. My hatchling is a month old. Won't know if it's a boy or a girl for a few years. I've given all my tortoises male names and they've all turned out to be female. Oh well.
Here is pictures of Franklin underneath

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 9

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I'm going to guess male. I can't see the picture very well, I have very crappy vision. I'm sure someone else can come along and let you know. For sure.