2 Russians?

T.J

Location (City and/or State)
California
I have a 1 year old Russian tortoise named Skidds. I'm thinking of getting another Russian, I know never to house 2 males together. Although what about separate housing? I currently am housing Skidds in a dog kennel so he has room to move. Is the kennel a bad way to house a single russian?

SweetGreekTorts

Tucson, AZ
Tortoises are not social, and Russians in particular can be territorial. If you get a second one, you will want to keep them in separate enclosures.

They also need as much space as possible so I would recommend enclosures outside in the yard or large tortoise tables indoors.

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
Can you show a photo of the kennel? How big is it? Does it have proper heating and lighting and good substrate?

T.J

California
Can you show a photo of the kennel? How big is it? Does it have proper heating and lighting and good substrate?
The substrate is ZooMed Tortoise Bark, ( idk what specific kind because we ran out a few weeks ago ) The heating/lighting is a ZooMed 2 in 1 Red Light and White light. He goes on the ramp to get close to the heat. There is also a rock that can absorb heat and he loves to lay on it. The inside is a Tortoise House a tunnel for him to go under a cat ramp for a basking spot he has a food and water dish with a hide (which he doesn't go in to much, he prefers to either sleep under the light or in the house) and we give him soaks about 3 times a week.1539270251720.jpeg1539270270549.jpeg1539270361287.jpeg

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
The substrate is ZooMed Tortoise Bark, ( idk what specific kind because we ran out a few weeks ago ) The heating/lighting is a ZooMed 2 in 1 Red Light and White light. He goes on the ramp to get close to the heat. There is also a rock that can absorb heat and he loves to lay on it. The inside is a Tortoise House a tunnel for him to go under a cat ramp for a basking spot he has a food and water dish with a hide (which he doesn't go in to much, he prefers to either sleep under the light or in the house) and we give him soaks about 3 times a week.View attachment 253870View attachment 253871View attachment 253872

1. Your 2 in 1 reptile lighting combo most likely does not contain any bulbs with UV(B). If I remember correctly, I believe these products are nothing but overpriced basking bulbs.

Do you have any UV(B) lighting?

2. Red bulbs should be used. Russians do not require night time heating unless temperatures drop under 65-60F. And even then, a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel would be a safer choice than red bulbs.

3. Is that a humidifier filter you have in the enclosure? What is it's use in the enclosure?

4. Where was your tortoise purchased from?

5. The tiny analog gauge you have can be quite inaccurate. Do you have a digital infrared temperature gun or thermocoupler to properly measure temperature levels?

A digital food/weather branded thermometer hygrometer reader with probe is also recommended.

6. Your currently food dish is too light and the lip can easily be tipped over. A flat rock, slate or ceramic tile would allow your tortoise to keep their beak and claws filed down.

7. Your current water dish has the same problems as your current food dish. Plant saucers are highly recommended because they're heavy and they can easily submerge into the substrate allowing your tortoise easy access to go in and out of.

T.J

California
1. Your 2 in 1 reptile lighting combo most likely does not contain any bulbs with UV(B). If I remember correctly, I believe these products are nothing but overpriced basking bulbs.

Do you have any UV(B) lighting?

2. Red bulbs should be used. Russians do not require night time heating unless temperatures drop under 65-60F. And even then, a ceramic heat emitter or reptile heating panel would be a safer choice than red bulbs.

3. Is that a humidifier filter you have in the enclosure? What is it's use in the enclosure?

4. Where was your tortoise purchased from?

5. The tiny analog gauge you have can be quite inaccurate. Do you have a digital infrared temperature gun or thermocoupler to properly measure temperature levels?

A digital food/weather branded thermometer hygrometer reader with probe is also recommended.

6. Your currently food dish is too light and the lip can easily be tipped over. A flat rock, slate or ceramic tile would allow your tortoise to keep their beak and claws filed down.

7. Your current water dish has the same problems as your current food dish. Plant saucers are highly recommended because they're heavy and they can easily submerge into the substrate allowing your tortoise easy access to go in and out of.
I changed the white bulb go uvb when it burnt out out, I don't know what your talking about a humidifier if you could point out what your talking about. We had a big Rock as a food dish for a while but it seemed like ge tended to stay away from it and didn't like to go on it. Skidds was purchased from Petco (my first mistake) the is a reptile store around the corner from my house so I buy bulbs and deco from them, I bought a UVB bulb from them and it has not burnt out yet so if there is a problem with the lighting I can go buy a cheap bulb

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
I changed the white bulb go uvb when it burnt out out, I don't know what your talking about a humidifier if you could point out what your talking about. We had a big Rock as a food dish for a while but it seemed like ge tended to stay away from it and didn't like to go on it. Skidds was purchased from Petco (my first mistake) the is a reptile store around the corner from my house so I buy bulbs and deco from them, I bought a UVB bulb from them and it has not burnt out yet so if there is a problem with the lighting I can go buy a cheap bulb

1. What is that pink ramp like material in the middle of the enclosure? What is it used for?

2. Can you include picture(s) and a link to the UV(B) bulb you're referring to?

Compact florescent bulbs for example are potentially dangerous to tortoises. People in the pet industry still sell them because they themselves are still operating under outdated and found to be unsafe caring practices.

Pet stores, reptile stores, and most tortoise branded equipment are often either incorrectly advertised for reptiles and tortoises or are overpriced copies of generic items you can easily find in most hardware supply stores.

T.J

California
I don't know what specific brand it was, it was a generic white box. I don't know what pink material you're referring to, the pink on the side of the ramp? I will try to confirm what kind of bulb it is though.