Thoughts??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
You need a different water bowl. That one is too deep and too steep.

I can't tell what substrate you've got in there, but it needs to be damp.

Here is the care info for your species:

Reading
You need a different water bowl. That one is too deep and too steep.

I can't tell what substrate you've got in there, but it needs to be damp.

Here is the care info for your species:
Thanks so much. The substrate was recommended by her old owner, it is made up of top soil and tortoise terrain from pets at home. What do you think??

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks so much. The substrate was recommended by her old owner, it is made up of top soil and tortoise terrain from pets at home. What do you think??
Both of those are unsuitable for tortoises. No sand and no soil. The care sheet I linked will explain it all for you.

Reading
It is way too dark. You need more light. Also too barren. Tortoises never would live in an area without plant cover. Totally stressful. Put some plants in there the tortoise can hide beneath.
Thanks for the info. I will change that ASAP. :)

Reading
Both of those are unsuitable for tortoises. No sand and no soil. The care sheet I linked will explain it all for you.

I just read you help sheet and thought: Great i have been doing everything wrong. Don't worry though, now I have read this i will make sure i give my tortoise the best life possible and do everything on that sheet. Thank you very much Tom.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Spider plants are good to use and tort safe but try to get them from someone who hasn't used any chemicals on them,
Check www,thetortoisetable.org.uk to see if theres any tort safe plants you already have.

Shops tend to use fertilisers and pesticides so if you buy from them you need to wash roots repot in safe soil and wait at least a year for anything absorbed by the plant to grow out,

Leave plants in pots and sink in substrate so the are easy to remove if they get nibbled or bulldozed!

Reading
Spider plants are good to use and tort safe but try to get them from someone who hasn't used any chemicals on them,
Check www,thetortoisetable.org.uk to see if theres any tort safe plants you already have.

Shops tend to use fertilisers and pesticides so if you buy from them you need to wash roots repot in safe soil and wait at least a year for anything absorbed by the plant to grow out,

Leave plants in pots and sink in substrate so the are easy to remove if they get nibbled or bulldozed!
Thanks for the info :) My dad has loads of spider plants at his home which he has grown from seeds. would these be fine??

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
He's lovely!
Sounds like he will be even happier when you've made some changes.

The dial type thermometers and hygrometers aren't that relaible so invest in a decent digital thermometer and hygrometer - usually with a probe.

A digital temp gun is also great to have to to check temps around the enclosure at tort level.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I just read you help sheet and thought: Great i have been doing everything wrong. Don't worry though, now I have read this i will make sure i give my tortoise the best life possible and do everything on that sheet. Thank you very much Tom.

Dont worry, your not alone, many of us were blindly following bad info until we found this forum. Unfortunately the internet never forgets yesterdays bad practice and the advice you will find here is no the same as you will find most other soc media sources. Think of it as a challenge to be overcome.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Thanks for the info :) My dad has loads of spider plants at his home which he has grown from seeds. would these be fine??
Ideal - as long as they've not been sprayed with chemicals or had fertilisers used on them and in soil in the last year or so. Just one or two depending on size to give him some ground cover.

Reading
He's lovely!
Sounds like he will be even happier when you've made some changes.

The dial type thermometers and hygrometers aren't that relaible so invest in a decent digital thermometer and hygrometer - usually with a probe.

A digital temp gun is also great to have to to check temps around the enclosure at tort level.
Thanks