Three Juvenile Red Foots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi,
I've been enjoying the company of three 1 year old red foots for about 2 months. I've got two questions I hope you can help me out with.
1) They've got a nice 30" by 48" enclosure that's well lit during the day and kept humid and warm (80 dgrees). The problem is they rarely come out of their hiding place. So I take them out every other day or so to enjoy the sun in a child's wading pool. There, they are VERY active for hours at a time. Is their terrarium missing something?
2) When they play in their small wading pool, I have to continuously check on them to make sure they're not stuck on their backs. To see three of them on their back at one time is hilarious. So, is it bad for them? How long is too long to be in that postion? This will help me check on them frequently enough!

Writing from Denver

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You didn't say if they have a shallow pool in their enclosure. They may enjoy that. You don't want them stuck upside down for any length of time. They do like to play in the mud.

Marcus

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Itort said:
You didn't say if they have a shallow pool in their enclosure. They may enjoy that. You don't want them stuck upside down for any length of time. They do like to play in the mud.

Thanks! Yes, they do have a shallow pool in their enclosure and I include one in their outdoor wading pool.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi Marc and welcome!

Is the entire terrarium, the 80 or is one side cooler and the other warmer and your just giving us the middle temp? Also folks visualize many things when they hear the word "terrarium". Can you give us a bit more detail like is it glass sided? screen sides?

Roughly how big are these guys if you measured their straight flat plastron (bottom shell) length? There can be a lot of growth difference in what different Redfoots are even in one year.

Being out in the sun tends to get everybody more active. Great that it is also good for them too. Makes me wonder what kind of lighting is in the terrarium, perhaps that's a problem area too.

Being on their back for an extended length of time can be deadly to them. It is more harmful when they are under heat lamps or caught upside down in the hot sun.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Marc I am trying to help your redfoots.. by helping you realize that their needs are totally different ( for them ) than any other tortoise on the planet.

Read the links in my signature starting with the "caresheet" on turtletary.com.

I'm the [ self-proclaimed? ] redfoot breeder here.. so maybe the info will help.

I suspect:

1) too much light inside

2) too much sun outside

3) too LOW temps/humidity

For starters!

Pics please?

nerd

Status
Not open for further replies.