Three Leopards... Sex?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Here are my three leopard tortoises. I think they're FINALLY big enough to tell what they are; at least two of them. We'll go in order of how I got them.

Vorax
Stats: Almost 4 years old. 1966 grams, 24cm
IMG_0575.jpg

IMG_0576.jpg

IMG_0577.jpg

Atlas
Stats: about 3 years old, 576 grams, 14.5cm
IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

Axis
Stats: about 3 years old, 1117 grams, 18.9cm.
IMG_0569.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0566.jpg

I got Atlas and Axis from the same breeder, I'm guessing they're probably related. Axis looks male to me and from what I hear, he's behaving like a male too. Not sure Atlas is big enough to tell yet.

I am wondering this: Should I sell Axis because whether Atlas is male or not, I probably don't need 2 related males or a male and female who are related.

I hope you like them, I sure do ;)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I can't sex them for you, but they are nice looking leos.

Stephanie

5 Year Member
Southern California
I'm in the same boat as the Captain when it comes to determining their sex, but I just had to comment on how beautiful they are! :D

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Thanks everybody :D

Is the middle one (Atlas) big enough to sex? He is only 14.5cm, which is 5.7 inches.
Vorax is 24cm or 9.45 inches. And Axis is 18.9cm or 7.44inches.

I got Atlas and Axis from the same breeder, I'm guessing they're probably related. Axis looks male to me and from what I hear, he's behaving like a male too. Not sure Atlas is big enough to tell yet. Vorax looks female to me too, I just didn't want to get excited :p

I am wondering this: Should I sell Axis because whether Atlas is male or not, I probably don't need 2 related males or a male and female who are related.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
First 2 are definately female and the third is a little boy,

They are stunning,:D:D

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I so agree with every one else female, female and male. They all look wonderful...

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
nickpanzee said:

If you intend on breeding them, I would sell one of the possible related tortoises. I have the same thing going on with a group of indian stars I have, one will be going to a new home shortly. It's probably a lot easier to sell them off rather then keeping them apart when they are of breeding age...unless you have become attached to them or something.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Before you go selling anything, why not contact the breeder and ask if he remembers what's up. It's always possible that they are unrelated, or half related.

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
The thing is, I didn't get them directly from the breeder. I got them from a friend of the breeder at an expo. I remember meeting him at another expo, but he was distracted by other people every time I went by. We talked for a bit. If I see him again, I'll probably ask how many males and females he has. I think I will keep all of them for now and make that decision later on. I do like how dark he is.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
If the 2 females are related would it make a difference?

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
If my 2 females were related? No, that would be fine, they wouldn't be doing any breeding :p The female and the smaller one (that everybody says is female, but I'm not going to settle on that until that one is bigger) are not related. The male and the smaller one are possibly related. I got the female from Russ Walker at the NARBC in Arlington a few years ago. The other 2 I got from different expos in San Antonio but from the same person. The female was my first leopard :)

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Ok once you know if the 2 are related either separate them or you could always sell one, My 2 cents.
I don't think I am making any sense

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes you are...it was two cents!

nickpanzee

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I probably won't ever really know if they are related. You are making sense though :p Maybe you need some sleep?

Status
Not open for further replies.