Three pics to identify

Joma

Location (City and/or State)
Taos, NM
can anyone tell me what these are and if they’re ok for a Greek to eat. Three pics attached. Growing in northern New Mexico.

Thx

C435E65D-797F-4BFA-A6C1-FDF205B3F7D8.jpeg FD8EB852-A905-454D-83EA-81C8247AC39D.jpeg D6F311E3-5285-4AD5-B0D1-2D6E96442284.jpeg

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
The first one is something in the brassica family, though I’m not sure which. A cress? A mustard? At any rate, it’s safe.

I don’t know the second.

The third is prickly lettuce, safe. It’s going to get straggly and go to seed fairly quickly so feed all you can now!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with @RosemaryDW.
One is safe, but no their favorite.
Two is horse weed. Not safe and horribly invasive. Rip it all out by the root BEFORE it goes to seed.
Three is safe.

Joma

Taos, NM
Thank you all. So I posted these pics on a local turtle/tort FB page and got the following answers from this seemingly awesome person. What do you think? @RosemaryDW you also agree with the mustard. @Tom I googled Kochia and it appears right. Will look up Horse weed......

1) Rocket, or London Rocket. Essentially a wild mustard green. Okay in small amounts but not as a regular dietary component because of the oxalic acid created in the plant.

2) Kochia, also called Careless Weed. Okay for torts when the plant is small. Tends to concentrate nitrates to an unsafe levels when larger.

3) Probably Prickly Lettuce, another member of the Asteracae or Sunflower family. Okay if a tortoise eats asmall amount while the plant is young and small, but not healthy as the plant matures because it concentrates nitrates like Kochia does.

Anyhow the long and short is It seems all the weeds around my house are kinda crappy lol. Not surprised. It’s tough livin’ out here on the Mesa!

Joma

Taos, NM
I agree with @RosemaryDW.
One is safe, but no their favorite.
Two is horse weed. Not safe and horribly invasive. Rip it all out by the root BEFORE it goes to seed.
Three is safe.

And @Tom i appreciate the suggestion about pulling up the horse weed or kochia or whatever it is but I’m literally surrounded for mikes by it lol. It’s a fact of my life I guess.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Southern Nevada here, and I was thinking 1. looks like Rag Weed. Koopa likes cold weather & spring ragweed. Now that its hot the leaves are thinner and the flower stem is tuff so she
leaves them.
2. I agree on horse weed. We have it here as well.

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Thank you all. So I posted these pics on a local turtle/tort FB page and got the following answers from this seemingly awesome person. What do you think?

I’m going to start by saying I am only one owner with one opinion; I also feed more casually than some would. I don’t worry about oxalic acid and I don’t worry about concentrated nitrates. In part because my tortoise gets a very wide variety in her diet; I’m not overloading her on anything. (I *do* worry about some diet concerns, in case I sound too casual.)

Also, I find some of the food advice out there to be based on food science that may not be relevant for tortoises. “Bad” for horses does not necessarily equal “bad” for tortoises but sometimes that’s the only information we have to go on. When I have a question about a plant I look more at what family it’s in and whether or not that food is found in a tortoise’s native range.

1) Rocket, or London Rocket. Essentially a wild mustard green. Okay in small amounts but not as a regular dietary component because of the oxalic acid created in the plant.

It’s not rocket; you don’t have it growing wild in New Mexico; arugula also has bigger flowers. :) But it’s a close relative.

2) Kochia, also called Careless Weed. Okay for torts when the plant is small. Tends to concentrate nitrates to an unsafe levels when larger.

I don’t know what it is exactly; I’m leaning to horseweed, like Tom.

3) Probably Prickly Lettuce, another member of the Asteracae or Sunflower family. Okay if a tortoise eats asmall amount while the plant is young and small, but not healthy as the plant matures because it concentrates nitrates like Kochia does.

Prickly lettuce is indeed in the sunflower family but that’s a LARGE plant family. It’s most closely related to (surprise! Lol) lettuce and the chicories, which we heavily recommend. I don’t feed it once it gets large, when it theoretically would be concentrating nitrates but not because of that; my tortoise simply won’t eat it at that stage. It doesn’t taste good to her. Is that nitrates? I don’t know but I know I’m not going to worry about her eating some in the spring. At any rate, the one in your picture is still young, safe even if you are concerned about the nitrate level.

Anyhow the long and short is It seems all the weeds around my house are kinda crappy lol. Not surprised. It’s tough livin’ out here on the Mesa!

Prickly lettuce and wild brassicas are excellent food for testudo tortoises like your Greek. Prickly lettuce is not native to the United States, it’s from Europe, just like her. Russians eat a ton of brassicas in the native range so I feed more of them than some owners do.

I’m feeling very opinionated today for some reason! At the end of the day only you can decide what is best for you and your tortoise. If you aren’t comfortable with a plant, no need to feed it, especially when you’re new and none of us agree with each other. :eek: I’m pretty relaxed about feeding now but I sure wasn’t when I was new.

Joma

Taos, NM
I’m going to start by saying I am only one owner with one opinion; I also feed more casually than some would. I don’t worry about oxalic acid and I don’t worry about concentrated nitrates. In part because my tortoise gets a very wide variety in her diet; I’m not overloading her on anything. (I *do* worry about some diet concerns, in case I sound too casual.)

Also, I find some of the food advice out there to be based on food science that may not be relevant for tortoises. “Bad” for horses does not necessarily equal “bad” for tortoises but sometimes that’s the only information we have to go on. When I have a question about a plant I look more at what family it’s in and whether or not that food is found in a tortoise’s native range.

It’s not rocket; you don’t have it growing wild in New Mexico; arugula also has bigger flowers. :) But it’s a close relative.

I don’t know what it is exactly; I’m leaning to horseweed, like Tom.

Prickly lettuce is indeed in the sunflower family but that’s a LARGE plant family. It’s most closely related to (surprise! Lol) lettuce and the chicories, which we heavily recommend. I don’t feed it once it gets large, when it theoretically would be concentrating nitrates but not because of that; my tortoise simply won’t eat it at that stage. It doesn’t taste good to her. Is that nitrates? I don’t know but I know I’m not going to worry about her eating some in the spring. At any rate, the one in your picture is still young, safe even if you are concerned about the nitrate level.

Prickly lettuce and wild brassicas are excellent food for testudo tortoises like your Greek. Prickly lettuce is not native to the United States, it’s from Europe, just like her. Russians eat a ton of brassicas in the native range so I feed more of them than some owners do.

I’m feeling very opinionated today for some reason! At the end of the day only you can decide what is best for you and your tortoise. If you aren’t comfortable with a plant, no need to feed it, especially when you’re new and none of us agree with each other. :eek: I’m pretty relaxed about feeding now but I sure wasn’t when I was new.

Actually I appreciate your opinion. Frankly I have been tying myself in knots trying to figure out what to feed (and which lighting to use, too much heat? not enough heat? etc ....) And yes, everyone has a different answer (and sometimes even the same person has different answers depending on the day?!) So I’ll take your advise and chill out.

One thing. I looked up London Rocket (not Rocket which is apparently arugula) and Kochia and that is what these plants in my yard are. I’m certain. The pics on line are an exact match right down to the little yellow flowers on the LR. Not sure about the prickly lettuce though. Could also be sow. But if eats it I’ll feed it. Thanks :)

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Well ****, guess “my” ragweed is not ragweed! Mine looks as same as 1. Now I can’t remember what I was comparing it to that brought me to thinking it was ragweed.