Time to worry???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toledo Ohio
About three weeks ago my Sullie managed to reach an artificial plant I had in her enclosure since she was hatchling (she’s four now) and was able to consume the papery, plastic material off the hard plastic stems. It looks like she only ate about 6 inches of the material. I tested the material and I couldn’t even rip it with my teeth!! It was pliable and could be smash it into a pretty small amount so I didn’t think she would have a probably passing it. I’ve been on poop patrol for three weeks now and it hasn’t passed. Yesterday I noticed she didn’t have a BM. At this time she still hasn’t had a BM. I’ve been keeping pretty good records of her BM’s and don’t recall her being this irregular. I soaked her last night hopping to promote some movement but she only passed a small dusty colored amount. Her appetite hasn’t changed a bit and is still eating her grasses as she grazes outside and loves her Tortoises diet at night before bed. I called an exotic vet and he didn’t seem worried…do you think Im over thinking this?? Its been three weeks and only 42 hrs of no BM???

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
If you are concerned there is a blockage, you really have no choice other than to take her to a vet for an x ray.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would think all is still well. Just keep an eye on her. Someone will be around soon To let you know what you could give her to help pass it if need be. It is either baby food carrots or pumpkin. I am just not sure which. Keep up the warm soaks too, that will also help. Good luck:D

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It's ok to be concerned, especially since you did not find it. If you honestly think there might be a blockage then only a vet visit will confirm and help that. In that thread of thinking, is it possible you missed it? I would wait another day or so and see what happens before going to the vet. Remember their beaks are different then our teeth are, they are very sharp so what they may be able to bite into bite sized pieces and what you can do with your teeth are 2 whole different things. The pieces your tortoise may have eaten were most likely small ones.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
try feeding her some canned pumpkin and add mineral oil too it.. it will help lubricate and move things thru..
or just wait a bit,, since she is still eating normal.. i wouldnt worry much..

nicoleandrocky

5 Year Member
California
i think she will be ok, feed her some pumpkin, but if you are still uneasy about it take her to the vet.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I think you are okay. Remember that it takes several days for anything to work its way through their GI tract, and sometimes longer.

JoeB

5 Year Member
Toledo Ohio
She had a good one last night!!!! Comparable to a medium sized dog!! LOL. Still no signs of it, but like dmmj said, maybe she chomped it up in small bites and its passing as normal undigested hay and grasses. I won’t stop worrying until I find it or another month...

Status
Not open for further replies.