Timi the sulcata is two years old

Trishk

Location (City and/or State)
Santa Barbara
Here is my latest photo of Timi. He (or she) turned two years old in October of this year. Weight 6.5 pounds, length about 10 inches from front to back of upper shell. Here she has a mouthful of romaine lettuce but is happily eating
mostly grass, a little chopped up orchard hay and a variety of weeds. This time of year where I live mallow weed, dandelions, clover and plantain are becoming abundant. I’ve planted a mulberry bush and spineless opuntia.
I am ready to build a more permanent outdoor home. The current one I posted about before is a large rabbit cage surrounded by cinder blocks.
I found a local carpenter who builds terrific outdoor enclosures for all kinds of animals. I have the specs for the heated outdoor part from Tom. (Thanks Tom.)
Here are a few of my questions and concerns.
I have an area about 15 by 10 feet at the sunniest part of my backyard in mind. I understand the need for deep shade too.
How big a barrier underground to prevent digging an escape? How best to keep him safe from my exuberant 85 pound labrador retriever?
The dog is not allowed in the backyard when the tortoise is in her outdoor enclosure.
It was the dog by the way who found Timi as a tiny one and a half ounce hatchling on my property thereby saving it’s life. The dog was afraid of Timi at that time lol! A five foot wooden fence around the enclosure perhaps?
I am also concerned about wildlife, mice, rats, skunks, possums coyotes and birds of prey, once it is time for Timi to live outside full time. That will be at three years old I think I read here?
As always I appreciate your expert advice and thoughts.

Attachments

• 0C36462A-838F-40FC-AFF4-98F3B93136B9.jpeg
    0C36462A-838F-40FC-AFF4-98F3B93136B9.jpeg
    101 KB · Views: 9