Tiny transparent bugs in substrate

Shann1422

Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Is it normal for a few tiny tiny transparent bugs to be crawling in substrate? Have only seen a few. Have coco coir and cypress mulch mixed together. Do i need to change substrate?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it normal for a few tiny tiny transparent bugs to be crawling in substrate? Have only seen a few. Have coco coir and cypress mulch mixed together. Do i need to change substrate?
Those sound like springtails. If so, it is totally normal and they are harmless detrivores working to clean up your enclosure. They come from the surrounding environment and colonize the favorable environment that you have created for them and your tortoise.

Shann1422

Boston, MA
Those sound like springtails. If so, it is totally normal and they are harmless detrivores working to clean up your enclosure. They come from the surrounding environment and colonize the favorable environment that you have created for them and your tortoise.
Are these springtails?

Attachments

• IMG_5095.jpeg
    IMG_5095.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 3

zovick

10 Year Member!
Are these springtails?
Yes, they do look like springtails. They are harmless and do eat detritus, so aren't really a problem. They are also quite hard to eradicate, so I just learned to live with them over the years.

I used to kill them off with Shell No-Pest Strips in the old days. They are now available as Hotshot No-Pest Strips. Using them never harmed my tortoises, but I am fairly sure most people here on the TFO would not condone using such means today.