Tips on winter travel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JenniandLeo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn Center, MN
Hey all!
I will be taking my Russian Leo into the vet today - but it is literally -11* (that's negative eleven!) here in MN today. Coldest it's been in 4 years. :( I would reschedule but have been feeling a little anxious about wanting to have him looked at.

Any tips on getting the little guy to the vet as comfortably as possible?
I've been wondering about putting a towel in the dryer and wrapping his travel container in it.. and thankfully I have an automatic starter on the Jeep.. but I thought someone might have some good ideas.

Thanks!

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I use hand & feet warmers under a towel and take them out in a covered container.

I also Auto start and crank the heat. My vet handles exotics and has heat lamps and CHE's in a room that they turn on for reptile apt's.

JenniandLeo

5 Year Member
Brooklyn Center, MN
CtTortoiseMom said:
I use hand & feet warmers under a towel and take them out in a covered container.

I also Auto start and crank the heat. My vet handles exotics and has heat lamps and CHE's in a room that they turn on for reptile apt's.

Thank you for these tips! The hand warmers were such a great idea.. Thank you!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use a cooler. Warm in up in your house, room temp. Then put a towel in there with the tort in the middle of the towel. Put lid on and take him out to the preheated car and lift lid a little for air. Close lid when going into vets office.

weldorNate

10 Year Member!
North Dakota
All i did to move my tort this winter was put a blanket over the temporary enclosure and made sure the heat was cranked in my jeep and set him on the passenger seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.