PixiePie

Location (City and/or State)
Surrey
Hi! Has anybody travelled on trains with a Greek spur thigh tortoise? We are going to Devon but I will be taking trains and I was wondering how safe that would be? The journey is around 3.5- 4 hours but he’s never been on a train so I’m worried it would just terrify him? I feel very anxious as I don’t want him to be scared or uncomfortable! I will try and find someone who could have him if not!
Also if he would be ok with travel any advice would be amazing! Thankyou!!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you moving to Devon or just visiting? If you are visiting see if someone can watch him while you are gone
If moving or can't find someone to watch him. I would put him in a small box that can't be seen thru and let him sleep the ride. However, what will you do/house him in once you get there? Tortoises get shipped by plane and trucks all the time, a train isn't much different. But he needs a proper house/enclosure for when you arrive, so he can warm up, eat, drink, etc.

PixiePie

Surrey
Are you moving to Devon or just visiting? If you are visiting see if someone can watch him while you are gone
If moving or can't find someone to watch him. I would put him in a small box that can't be seen thru and let him sleep the ride. However, what will you do/house him in once you get there? Tortoises get shipped by plane and trucks all the time, a train isn't much different. But he needs a proper house/enclosure for when you arrive, so he can warm up, eat, drink, etc.
Just over Christmas but the person visiting our cat is very funny with tortoises :( it’s always very warm in the place we stay and I will take a heat pad, it’s really not ideal I know but it may just be the only option unfortunately 😭 the person who had him before is unable to now sadly!😭

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
Just over Christmas but the person visiting our cat is very funny with tortoises :( it’s always very warm in the place we stay and I will take a heat pad, it’s really not ideal I know but it may just be the only option unfortunately 😭 the person who had him before is unable to now sadly!😭
STRESS..... It seems above all you need to eliminate stress for your tort. You seem to understand and know all the temp, food type needs it's just the stress part your not sure of. Rides that vibrate the tort are actually good for bowel movements, that's at least what I read here in another post, especially constipated ones. The best would be to eliminate all visual stimulants like @wellington said to eliminate the stress of the ride. I wish both of you a Very Merry Christmas and safe (stress free) travels.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi! Has anybody travelled on trains with a Greek spur thigh tortoise? We are going to Devon but I will be taking trains and I was wondering how safe that would be? The journey is around 3.5- 4 hours but he’s never been on a train so I’m worried it would just terrify him? I feel very anxious as I don’t want him to be scared or uncomfortable! I will try and find someone who could have him if not!
Also if he would be ok with travel any advice would be amazing! Thankyou!!!
Yes the ride will stress him and it sounds like you don't have suitable housing on the other end. Best to leave the tortoise at home where it is comfortable and its needs can be met. Lights should be on timers and heat should be on a thermostat.

How many days will you be gone? We can offer tips to keep him alive and well if we know how many days you will be gone.

PixiePie

Surrey
STRESS..... It seems above all you need to eliminate stress for your tort. You seem to understand and know all the temp, food type needs it's just the stress part your not sure of. Rides that vibrate the tort are actually good for bowel movements, that's at least what I read here in another post, especially constipated ones. The best would be to eliminate all visual stimulants like @wellington said to eliminate the stress of the ride. I wish both of you a Very Merry Christmas and safe (stress free) travels.
Thankyou so much! And there’s always something new to learn with Tortoises! Unfortunately my parents got me my boy when I was 11 and the reptile shop gave us all the wrong information 😭 literally everything! I learnt on here that he was infact a Greek spur thigh and not a Hermann!

PixiePie

Surrey
Yes the ride will stress him and it sounds like you don't have suitable housing on the other end. Best to leave the tortoise at home where it is comfortable and its needs can be met. Lights should be on timers and heat should be on a thermostat.

How many days will you be gone? We can offer tips to keep him alive and well if we know how many days you will be gone.
About 5 days 🥺

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
About 5 days 🥺
For 5 days I would:
1. Soak for a long time the day you leave, or the evening before.
2. Remove the water dish entirely so it can't be fouled and the tortoise can't flip over in it.
3. Leave a pad or two of spineless opuntia. It lasts for months without rotting when left open to the air.
4. Soak again and replace the water bowl upon your return.
5. Enjoy your holiday!

If the cat watcher wouldn't mind dropping some lettuce into the enclosure, your tortoise will be quite happy in your absence.

EppsDynasty

Platinum Tortoise Club
Canebrake Ca
For 5 days I would:
1. Soak for a long time the day you leave, or the evening before.
2. Remove the water dish entirely so it can't be fouled and the tortoise can't flip over in it.
3. Leave a pad or two of spineless opuntia. It lasts for months without rotting when left open to the air.
4. Soak again and replace the water bowl upon your return.
5. Enjoy your holiday!

If the cat watcher wouldn't mind dropping some lettuce into the enclosure, your tortoise will be quite happy in your absence.
Fantastic advice......problem solved......learned something to