Traveling with a Sulcata.... any tips?

kjr153

5 Year Member
My main concern is heat. We will be in the car for about five hours. I was thinking about getting a plastic clothing bin to make his travel home. I have an aquarium screen top that I can sit on it for the lights to sit on. Is five hours too long for a Sulcata to go without added heat? Any other tips would be great!

Saleama

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Irving Texas
Depends on the tort. When I travel with mine I make sure they are nice and warm in a plastic shoe box that somewhat prohibits their movement (cedar mulch does the job for me). I place them on the seat that gets the most exposure to the sun to keep up the ambient temp inside the box. Turn the vents away from them if you have to run the AC. Generally, 80 is a little uncomfortable for me, but I leave the lid on their tub and cycle the air on and off so it does not cool the entire car down that much. Mine go with me to Houston about once every two months. The most important thing in my mind is having a set up for them where you are going. Mine have a 75 gal tub with similar substrate as their normal table and a playpen so I can put them in the yard. I also pack their bath tubs and plenty of their food. Not that I can't get food for them in Houston but I like to have a day or two of what is next on their menu just in case. I am not sure how much of this is necessary, but it is what I do and mine seem to do fine. I have never noticed any stress reaction after the trip. Oh, and give them a good long warm soak when you get to where you are going to rehydrate.

For a larger animal, I have no idea but I will need to learn very soon! :)

It should also go without saying, but, make sure he is the last thing you load and the first you unload. Also, if you stop and he is a little one, bring him inside with you. Cars can heat up fast even when it is cold outside. I have never had any restaurant tell me to remove them and several have actually asked what the tortoises would like to eat! Just be polite and don't let them run around on the table. LOL, there are still people who think all turtles and tortoises are disease ridden plauge carriers. If he is a larger tort, try and make your stops ones where you can rotate in and out so you don't have to leave him/her alone.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
You shouldn't have any issues. Smallish container with a lid that you can open and close easily for airflow. Keep him warm and take him inside if and when you stop. I get some looks but I would rather show children my torts than have little tort burgers if they get over heated inside the car while I am getting a drink at Buckees! Soak him before you leave and as soon as you get to where you are going. He will pee alot during the trip, at least, mine do. Stress reaction I think. So it is important to hydrate and rehydrate.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Yes, to what everyone said above. If you need warmth, either a hot water bottle or one of those sports injury heat pads that you fold and they get warm right away. Those are one use only. Hot water bottle can be refilled at restroom stops. Just be sure to have a small towel or cloth in between the heat source and your tortoise. : )

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
From what I have heard in the past. Bring lots of paper towels and air freshener :D

Mallykc

5 Year Member
I use to travel all the time with mine. He was small at the time and fit in a fish tank. I would put the fish tank on the floor on the passenger side of the car with all the usual stuff in it (so it felt like home) and then position one of those desk lamps with a heat bulb over him. It worked out great!