To feed or not to feed?!

Spidey777

Location (City and/or State)
Montreal
ok so I got the LIFE CHANGING app named Picture This. It allows me to take pictures of weeds in my yard and it identifies them. I then check them out on the tortoise table to see if it's a go. BUT I am having trouble with one in particular.

there's a weed in my yard that is either Sow Thistle or Prickly Lettuce. They both look so similar that even the app keeps going back and forth. Now one of those two is really bad for tortoises and the other is really good for tortoises.

So i guess my question is does anyone have a clue how to for sure distinguish between the two AND if i'm uncertain do I feed it or avoid it? Keep in mind, if it IS Sow thistle, it's just about the best weed I have according to the tortoise table

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
ok so I got the LIFE CHANGING app named Picture This. It allows me to take pictures of weeds in my yard and it identifies them. I then check them out on the tortoise table to see if it's a go. BUT I am having trouble with one in particular.

there's a weed in my yard that is either Sow Thistle or Prickly Lettuce. They both look so similar that even the app keeps going back and forth. Now one of those two is really bad for tortoises and the other is really good for tortoises.

So i guess my question is does anyone have a clue how to for sure distinguish between the two AND if i'm uncertain do I feed it or avoid it? Keep in mind, if it IS Sow thistle, it's just about the best weed I have according to the tortoise table
Which one is bad for tortoises? I've been feeding both of those for decades. Both are good tortoise food if we are talking about the same thing.

Spidey777

Montreal
Which one is bad for tortoises? I've been feeding both of those for decades. Both are good tortoise food if we are talking about the same thing.
Tortoise table says prickly lettuce is a no no. Do you disagree Tom?

Spidey777

Montreal
Post some photos of:

the whole plant

a close up of a leaf (top and bottom sides)

any flowers or buds
Hey there thanks so much for the help. Here is the best picture I have. If needed I can get more tomorrow during the day. But maybe this is enough for you?

Attachments

• 470A6F36-2C0C-4331-8A83-1FBFDF7566FF.jpeg
    470A6F36-2C0C-4331-8A83-1FBFDF7566FF.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 13
  • B92E12B9-06E3-480F-9E43-62338BECF8CA.jpeg
    B92E12B9-06E3-480F-9E43-62338BECF8CA.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It’s prickly lettuce.

The Tortoise Table is super conservative and some people question the science behind some of its assessments because they are based on mammal reactions, not tortoises. I am one of those people.

If you read the Tortoise Table it says the plant may become problematic as it gets older. If that worries you, you can stop feeding it once that happens.

Regardless, it’s a dandelion relative than many believe safe and feed. My Russian has been eating it all week, just like she does every spring after it rains. She stops eating it once things heat up and the plant gets a little scraggly.

You never have to feed anything you don’t feel comfortable about, of course. Only you know what’s best for you and your tortoise.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
If you like Picture this check out PlantSnap.

Spidey777

Montreal
It’s prickly lettuce.

The Tortoise Table is super conservative and some people question the science behind some of its assessments because they are based on mammal reactions, not tortoises. I am one of those people.

If you read the Tortoise Table it says the plant may become problematic as it gets older. If that worries you, you can stop feeding it once that happens.

Regardless, it’s a dandelion relative than many believe safe and feed. My Russian has been eating it all week, just like she does every spring after it rains. She stops eating it once things heat up and the plant gets a little scraggly.

You never have to feed anything you don’t feel comfortable about, of course. Only you know what’s best for you and your tortoise.
Thank you so much ?