Ruszian Tortoise

Location (City and/or State)
TX
So almost 4 weeks ago Weed and Feed was put in our yard. Front and back. There's been torrential rain storms since then... But since I don't know what type of Weed and Feed it was, I should not feed my tortoise weeds grown in the yard, right? Any advice as to what I should feed? Most of my tortoise's diet came from the yard... And I've just been feeding her collard greens and pellets (and less often) kale with occasionally some carrots or cucumber... I know these are high in oxalates and or oxalic acid? I've been trying my best to keep her hydrated. Any ideas?
Thanks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I wouldn't feed anything from that yard for a year or more.

Get weeds somewhere else. They are everywhere. Also mulberry leaves, grape leaves, rose of sharon or hibiscus, lavatera, spineless opuntia pads. From the store favor endive and escarole, but add in cilantro, collards, kale, arugula, turnip and mustard greens, etc... Mix in some soaked ZooMed pellets or Mazuri for variety and fiber.

Go to @Kapidolo Farms and order up an assortment of dried leaves to mix in the the grocery store greens.

Many many ways to make a good tortoise diet.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Weed and feed will often selectively kill broadleaf plants and not harm grasses. Which is not to say that grasses won't or don't take up the broadleaf weed killer chemicals. I honestly don't know the mode of action for the broadleaf weed killer and what grasses do with it.

So; I agree with Tom and would not use anything from the treated area, a year is a pretty good time to wait including some safety margin as well.

There are many good alternatives, but not as handy or inexpensive as accessing your backyard. One is to use grocery greens, not the horrible alternative often bantered about, I seek and use organic as much as possible. I also increase the nutrient density and fiber with dried organic herbs, leaves, and flowers. You can grow greens some in untreated soil in containers. You can but the organic cat grass from big box pet stores. There are some areas, even in the big box stores, that sell organic garden vegetables, many of which have edible leaves - squash, sweet potato, etc.

I don't know the situation where your yard was treated without your input, but clearly you might lobby for that not happening again.

FWIW oxalates are also not the horrible tortoise killer compound they have been made out to be.

Lastly, you might try ZooMed pellets (I have a reasoned dislike of Mazuri). It is not the that difficult to get tortoises to eat them, it's all about presentation. I also use alot of Purina Mills organic chicken layer crumbles, they have a similar ingredient list as 'old' Mazuri, but no added sugar and many times the calcium and D3, enough to support a laying hen to lay an egg everyday. The quality missing from the layer crumbles is fiber, so in combination with ZooMed that is rectified.

I flavor these things (ZooMed and Layer crumbles) with cold brew hibiscus tea.

Maybe read my blogs posts on my webpage www.kapidolofarms.com

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
Weed and feed will often selectively kill broadleaf plants and not harm grasses. Which is not to say that grasses won't or don't take up the broadleaf weed killer chemicals. I honestly don't know the mode of action for the broadleaf weed killer and what grasses do with it.

So; I agree with Tom and would not use anything from the treated area, a year is a pretty good time to wait including some safety margin as well.

There are many good alternatives, but not as handy or inexpensive as accessing your backyard. One is to use grocery greens, not the horrible alternative often bantered about, I seek and use organic as much as possible. I also increase the nutrient density and fiber with dried organic herbs, leaves, and flowers. You can grow greens some in untreated soil in containers. You can but the organic cat grass from big box pet stores. There are some areas, even in the big box stores, that sell organic garden vegetables, many of which have edible leaves - squash, sweet potato, etc.

I don't know the situation where your yard was treated without your input, but clearly you might lobby for that not happening again.

FWIW oxalates are also not the horrible tortoise killer compound they have been made out to be.

Lastly, you might try ZooMed pellets (I have a reasoned dislike of Mazuri). It is not the that difficult to get tortoises to eat them, it's all about presentation. I also use alot of Purina Mills organic chicken layer crumbles, they have a similar ingredient list as 'old' Mazuri, but no added sugar and many times the calcium and D3, enough to support a laying hen to lay an egg everyday. The quality missing from the layer crumbles is fiber, so in combination with ZooMed that is rectified.

I flavor these things (ZooMed and Layer crumbles) with cold brew hibiscus tea.

Maybe read my blogs posts on my webpage www.kapidolofarms.com
Oh, okay, thank you. A few questions: Russians can/will/should eat cat grass? I thought I heard that they weren't really a grass-eating species. For the chicken crumbles : Does it have actual chicken in it? Just wondering, because I'm fairly sure that Russians don't eat meat. For cold brew hibiscus: must it be cold brew? Could I heat it then let it cool down?
Again, thank you so much for your response.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, okay, thank you. A few questions: Russians can/will/should eat cat grass? I thought I heard that they weren't really a grass-eating species. For the chicken crumbles : Does it have actual chicken in it? Just wondering, because I'm fairly sure that Russians don't eat meat. For cold brew hibiscus: must it be cold brew? Could I heat it then let it cool down?
Will will answer in his own words, but you are correct. Russians are not grass eaters. However, grass can be used as a great way to add some much needed fiber to the diet of any tortoise.

Chicken crumbles are meant to be FED to chickens. The crumbles are not made of chicken. Lay crumbles are fed to egg laying hens and growing babies and have loads of calcium to support egg shell development and the growing bones of babies.

Heating the hibiscus tea will make it happen faster, but you'll also lose some of the nutrients. I'm not sure it will matter much for this application, but I'm interested in Will's opinion on this one too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's called chicken crumble because it's food for chickens, not because it contains chicken.

Ruszian Tortoise

TX
Will will answer in his own words, but you are correct. Russians are not grass eaters. However, grass can be used as a great way to add some much needed fiber to the diet of any tortoise.

Chicken crumbles are meant to be FED to chickens. The crumbles are not made of chicken. Lay crumbles are fed to egg laying hens and growing babies and have loads of calcium to supp

Chicken crumbles are meant to be FED to chickens. The crumbles are not made of chicken. Lay crumbles are fed to egg laying hens and growing babies and have loads of calcium to support egg shell development and the growing bones of babies.

Heating the hibiscus tea will make it happen faster, but you'll also lose some of the nutrients. I'm not sure it will matter much for this application, but I'm interested in Will's opinion on this one too.

ort egg shell development and the growing bones of babies.

Oh, okay. That makes sense. But will too much calcium hurt them? I've heard people say not to put calcium on a tortoise's food too often, just an occasional sprinkle especially if they're an adult that is not laying eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Oh, okay. That makes sense. But will too much calcium hurt them? I've heard people say not to put calcium on a tortoise's food too often, just an occasional sprinkle especially if they're an adult that is not laying eggs.
Too much is bad. You won't get too much from the previously recommended foods.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Thanks for the chuckle, and your question makes good sense. Chicken layer crumbles is a food for chickens, I use the organic version, it's not vegetarian, as they ad ground oyster shell, but no animal protein is in it. There is no chicken in it.

Russians will and do eat grass, some individuals more than others. It's a simple easy, can do it today - any day, food to offer, not a complete diet by any means. I also suggested broadleaf things too.

I use cold brew hibiscus tea for a few reasons. 1) I poor the water over the hibiscus and put it in the frig overnight, a very no effort way to go, and 2) I don't know all the food value in the hibiscus (which is also directly fed to the tortoise) but heating does alter many nutrients, so I don't do it.