To Opuntia or not to Opuntia (Mazuri too)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tech13

5 Year Member
I bought some Opuntia and my son's little Greek is not interested...any tips? I sliced it down thru the middle then in strips after I took this pic, but still no go.ImageUploadedByTortForum1377781968.311595.jpg Does anyone cut off the outer layer? it is pretty tough. Also, is Mazuri Tortoise Diet appropriate for a Greek? I thought I'd get some, to supplement just incase his various greens and weeds, and Easter cactus along with calcium doesn't provide everything he needs . He is not fond of flowers except the white clover flowers and an occasional dandelion. It says on the Mazuri bag that it 15% crude protein and I thought protein is not good for torts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Torts are creatures of habit. They often won't try new foods because they don't recognize an unfamiliar item as food. It may take several weeks of you putting that food out with the other food and having it ignored fro them to try it. Try finely mincing just a little cactus pad and mixing it all up with the rest of his food every day for a while. Over time he'll get used to the smell, taste and texture and start eating it.

Mazuri is good stuff. That old "protein is bad" thing is an outdated myth. There was a time that people believed and reported that protein caused pyramiding. It doesn't. A little bit now and then is good for them. 15% is just a little bit. Some plants are higher in protein than that. Notably alfalfa and many of the beans.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
What we used to mean by saying don't give your grazing tortoise protein is don't give him animal protein. All plant matter contains protein too, and plant protein is just fine.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
I've noticed that my smaller breed torts like the smaller younger pads , they don't like the older larger pads

Tech13

5 Year Member
Ok, I will be persistent and patient with the opuntia. I got our little tort to taste it twice while eating a favorite, but he stopped (and he was like, What was that?) and started eating at another place on his greens. He actually pushed it back out of his mouth with his tongue, lol! He is just set in his little ways, I guess...or just like my oldest son, a picky eater. I did order the smaller pads if available, I have no idea if they are though since I've nothing to compare to. Where is the best place to store them? Thank you to all.

Yvonne and Tom, thank you also on helping me to understand the whole protein thing, it makes sense to me now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.