To Tub or not to Tub.

PMQ

There is a reptile expo in 5 days and I know there will be breeders selling hermann's tortoises (which I want), but I do not have the full enclosure built yet. Would it be alright if I kept him in a rubber made tub enclosure for a couple of days until I finish building the tort table?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Beaumont, CA.
There is a reptile expo in 5 days and I know there will be breeders selling hermann's tortoises (which I want), but I do not have the full enclosure built yet. Would it be alright if I kept him in a rubber made tub enclosure for a couple of days until I finish building the tort table?

Yes, if it is properly set up, to meet all of his needs.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes,that is what many of us started out with. Just try to ask all the right questions, before just purchasing. I know, it will be hard to restrain yourself, but you want the one that was raised the best, to save yourself from any possible heart ache. Good luck and don't forget to share with us:D

PMQ

Yes,that is what many of us started out with. Just try to ask all the right questions, before just purchasing. I know, it will be hard to restrain yourself, but you want the one that was raised the best, to save yourself from any possible heart ache. Good luck and don't forget to share with us:D
I have been doing my research for about a month now waiting for this expo, I will do my best to pick from the right dealer.

PMQ

Yes. I use tub for quarantine period of new Torts and as Hospital if one get sick.
Do you have a picture or a link to a post where someone has a good tub setup I can base mine off of?

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
San Jose CA
Do you have a picture or a link to a post where someone has a good tub setup I can base mine off of?
Please check-in with @Elohi.

She have very nice thread that show how she use a tub to housing her beautiful Leopard tortoise.

PMQ

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
I stared my russian out in a tub. Just for few days, 'cause he's all grown up, but a baby could easily live in there for a couple weeks. (with alights and all the +s)

PMQ

I stared my russian out in a tub. Just for few days, 'cause he's all grown up, but a baby could easily live in there for a couple weeks. (with alights and all the +s)
What is the best thermometer and hygrometer?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
Digital thermometers are better than disks, because they are WAY more accurate. I have one that has a humidity+heat combo. It wasn't expensive like 10$ or something. It's a ZOOMed, they make very nice reptile products.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
The big 54 gallon Rubbermaid are about $20 where I live. Plexiglass was $24 or $26, can't remember exactly. I cut holes in it with a drimmel. I cut one for a CHE dome and one for a light dome. I originally had a 100w MVB in the other dome but I worried about the intensity of the heat since it seemed to obliterate any moisture in that side. I ends up using a 65w incandescent flood bulb instead, and putt them outside for short periods for their UVB.
Also, I still do not use indoor UVB at this time but I may use tube UVB this winter since my leopards are still small and indoors almost all the time.
The closed chamber they are in (the link in the previous post) is currently $119, down from $131. It's really quite cost effective if you need a closed chamber set up with a good sized footprint.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Do you already have the tub on hand?
Do you already have the lighting?
I say sure, set him up with the tub until your bigger/preferred enclosure is set up.

Make sure you have a basking area so the little guy can go to warm up and digest food. If you will be building the new set up rather quickly, then you can probably wait to set up the UV lighting.

A little Hermann may not need a closed chamber. It wont hurt if you do...you'll keep the RH% lower than those with african species but I think your little guy will be fine in an open top tub as long as the substrate is damp and he can burrow down. I only suggest this to eliminate the additional costs a chamber would entail.

When looking for your new addition ask for a baby that has been regularly soaked, offered a water dish and is housed on an "earthy" type substrate. Housing on rabbit pellets would be a red flag!

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
If you have the tub already, and want a partially closed set up, you could cut the lid in half, cut plexiglas to fit over one side. Tubs are definitely a nice and cheap way to get started.

PMQ

Do you already have the tub on hand?
Do you already have the lighting?
I say sure, set him up with the tub until your bigger/preferred enclosure is set up.

Make sure you have a basking area so the little guy can go to warm up and digest food. If you will be building the new set up rather quickly, then you can probably wait to set up the UV lighting.

A little Hermann may not need a closed chamber. It wont hurt if you do...you'll keep the RH% lower than those with african species but I think your little guy will be fine in an open top tub as long as the substrate is damp and he can burrow down. I only suggest this to eliminate the additional costs a chamber would entail.

When looking for your new addition ask for a baby that has been regularly soaked, offered a water dish and is housed on an "earthy" type substrate. Housing on rabbit pellets would be a red flag!
If I remember from reading articles, humidity for a baby hermann's should be around 70% correct? And yes I have the lights but not the tub.