Too big?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I think that if that fellow had been allowed to expound a bit more on his 'too big' theory, it would have made more sense to you. If you have your babies in a wide open space with no hiding places, they might be a bit stressed because they are prey and feel too exposed. Add a bunch of 'furniture' into the space and see if they don't start to grow better...things the babies can hide under as they go from place to place.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Yvonne G said:
I think that if that fellow had been allowed to expound a bit more on his 'too big' theory, it would have made more sense to you. If you have your babies in a wide open space with no hiding places, they might be a bit stressed because they are prey and feel too exposed. Add a bunch of 'furniture' into the space and see if they don't start to grow better...things the babies can hide under as the go from place to place.

This sounds like a good idea. They have two hides and I'm going to get a shoe box for humid hide. Any suggests for other furniture?

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
My tiny baby is now my big boy and my big boy is now my tiny baby. They grow so different. I have started feeding them seperately but there is no difference in their weight gain. One is steady and slow and the other is steady and really really slow. But you know what? They are both smooth, growing and their colors are starting to get really neat. My little blond one is getting a pitch black ring now and the black one is getting another black ring. If they are eating pooping and you are doing the things you see here, you should be fine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You can try real plants or fake, doesn't matter, over-sized rocks (boulders to babies!), etc.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Great input Yvonne!

I like to line the edges of my chambers with fake plants. I also have bunches placed randomly through the middle and like Yvonne said they will walk all over under this cover.
Even outside I have tall patches of ornamental grasses so they can zig zag around under cover.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Yvonne G said:
You can try real plants or fake, doesn't matter, over-sized rocks (boulders to babies!), etc.

Do you have any suggestions on the best place to get fake plants?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I buy fake plants at a dollar store or 99cent store. A buck gets me a small bushel and 5 or 6 bucks fills an enclosure :)

I take a flat, square piece of plastic and drill a hole in the center. I push the stick of the plant through the hole and fold that flat against the plastic. Then, hot glue it in place. I now have a nice bade for the tree or if I move the plant leaves around a bit, I have a bush.
I bury the base under a few inches of dirt and the plants stay in place. It can get bumped, trampled or buried into and it holds :D

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Team Gomberg said:
I buy fake plants at a dollar store or 99cent store. A buck gets me a small bushel and 5 or 6 bucks fills an enclosure :)

I take a flat, square piece of plastic and drill a hole in the center. I push the stick of the plant through the hole and fold that flat against the plastic. Then, hot glue it in place. I now have a nice bade for the tree or if I move the plant leaves around a bit, I have a bush.
I bury the base under a few inches of dirt and the plants stay in place. It can get bumped, trampled or buried into and it holds :D

Okay thanks :)

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Well I weighed the big boy today and he has grown to 54g since the 5th of November. Other the other hand one of my torts still hasn't grown. Hopefully I won't have to separate them. It's just weird because I think she eats more than he does

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Team Gomberg said:
A trio does so much better than a pair. If you dont want to separate them and you have the room, just add a 3rd.

That sounds like a great excuse to order another Leo :)