too cold?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Denver, Colorado
is 55 degrees too cold for a russian at night? I want to leave them outside all summer and it can get down there at night, I can make a heated hide but if I don't need to then that saves me money for their indoor upgrades while outside all summer.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
What does your humidity average at? What are the day temps like during the time of year you are leaving your tort outdoors?

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
I am in Denver so the humidity is fairly low, not sure of the numbers but it's dry here. as for temps it will be anywhere from upper 80s to 100s but since it is so dry the air doesn't hold its temp at night and drops to the upper 50s

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
55 is a little low, but shouldn't be a problem every now and then. they usually like it getting down into the upper 50s at night, so mid 50s occasionally should be okay.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
jjsull33 said:
is 55 degrees too cold for a russian at night? I want to leave them outside all summer and it can get down there at night, I can make a heated hide but if I don't need to then that saves me money for their indoor upgrades while outside all summer.
55 degrees is fine for Russian tortoises outdoors. Even much lower, well below 50. There is no need for a heated hide during the summer, especially in dry Denver, Colorado!

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
So some things in life have changed and I may be moving back to my parents place on cape cod my mom said I could take over as much of her yard as I need as long as I make her some raised garden beds if I have to go back. The average temps at night are low 60s and upper 50s, 57 or so is as low as it will go,I assume this is fine but with it being so humid on cape would I need a heated hide then?

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
jjsull33 said:
So some things in life have changed and I may be moving back to my parents place on cape cod my mom said I could take over as much of her yard as I need as long as I make her some raised garden beds if I have to go back. The average temps at night are low 60s and upper 50s, 57 or so is as low as it will go,I assume this is fine but with it being so humid on cape would I need a heated hide then?

The humidity might be a problem, what is the relative humidity there? Russians are very cold tolerant, but they aren't very tolerant of cold and high humidity.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Spn785 said:
The humidity might be a problem, what is the relative humidity there? Russians are very cold tolerant, but they aren't very tolerant of cold and high humidity.

So I can't seem to find the most recent data, but I know from living there for most of my childhood that its between 75% and 100% plus all of the averages for years ago show that as well.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
That is definitely a little high for the temp,It might be a good idea to bring your tortoise in at night.

Or maybe have a house set up for them outside that can be kept a little drier at night.

jjsull33

5 Year Member
Denver, Colorado
Spn785 said:
That is definitely a little high for the temp,It might be a good idea to bring your tortoise in at night.

Or maybe have a house set up for them outside that can be kept a little drier at night.

How would one go about making a hide that is less humid? will insulating it and keeping it warm in there keep the humidity down? I have heard of making a humid hide but never the other way around haha...

No matter where I end up for the summer (Denver or Cape Cod) they will be staying outside for the whole summer, I don't know where I will be yet but I like to have a plan so I can get it done asap if I do move.

Spn785

5 Year Member
Mid-Missouri
jjsull33 said:
Spn785 said:

How would one go about making a hide that is less humid? will insulating it and keeping it warm in there keep the humidity down? I have heard of making a humid hide but never the other way around haha...

No matter where I end up for the summer (Denver or Cape Cod) they will be staying outside for the whole summer, I don't know where I will be yet but I like to have a plan so I can get it done asap if I do move.

You wide vreate a hide that is a little bit heated (keep at about 60F), and Put a substrate in there that doesn't retain moisture as well, like maybe a soil and sand mixture with more sand than usual, say a 50/50 mix. Hopefully someone with this same issue will chime in. Where I live, humidity might be 100% in the summer, but then it only "cools" down into the 80s at night.

Status
Not open for further replies.