Too Much Basking??

NJTortoiseFan

Location (City and/or State)
Philly
Hi all. I have three young Egyptian tortoises (ranging from three to eight months of age) and all seem to be doing well with one possible concern. Two of the three often spend quite a bit of time in the basking area (I'm talking 2-3 hours at a time). Is this too much?? I find that they sometimes fall asleep under the basking light, which makes me very nervous. My basking area is in the low 90s, and the cool side of the enclosure is in the high 70s. Any guidance you could offer would be much appreciated. Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Low side should be 75 all over 80 and basking 95-100. All your temps need adjusting. Night temp can be 70

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all. I have three young Egyptian tortoises (ranging from three to eight months of age) and all seem to be doing well with one possible concern. Two of the three often spend quite a bit of time in the basking area (I'm talking 2-3 hours at a time). Is this too much?? I find that they sometimes fall asleep under the basking light, which makes me very nervous. My basking area is in the low 90s, and the cool side of the enclosure is in the high 70s. Any guidance you could offer would be much appreciated. Thank you.
Tortoise behavior, along with the thermometer, is a good indicator of how well set your temperatures are. When they bask a lot, I will usually raise the ambient a bit and see what happens. When they are already warmer, they don't need to bask as much.

I've not kept Egyptians, so I don't know what temps they prefer.

@[email protected] Do Egyptians like hot temps, or more moderate temps?