Too much mallow?

Location (City and/or State)
Gilbert, AZ
My 2 yr old tortoise is loving all the Mallow we've been giving him right now. The only problem is he won't eat anything else, especially if there's a pile of mallow nearby. We've tried to switch things up with dandelions, grasses and some hibiscus. He hardly eats on days without mallow. But on days when we give him mallow he's a bottomless pit.

I know variety is good, but I'm wondering if just giving him mallow for a few weeks is problematic since he seems to eat a never ending amount of it?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
My 2 yr old tortoise is loving all the Mallow we've been giving him right now. The only problem is he won't eat anything else, especially if there's a pile of mallow nearby. We've tried to switch things up with dandelions, grasses and some hibiscus. He hardly eats on days without mallow. But on days when we give him mallow he's a bottomless pit.

I know variety is good, but I'm wondering if just giving him mallow for a few weeks is problematic since he seems to eat a never ending amount of it?
I don't think you can do too much. Its a large percentage of my tortoise's diets every year at this time and its a great tortoise food. What I do is cut it and mix it up with other weeds and grasses. I grab a handful of mallow, cut it below where I grabbed the bunch with scissors, and then cut it into smaller pieces into a 5 gallon bucket. I try to mix in lots of freshly sprouted grasses and other weeds with it. Then I dump my bucket into a big 40 gallon tub and mix it all up like tossing a salad. I then put piles of the mix on their trays and they eat it all up.