topsoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blademr2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Vancouver, wa
I can't seem to find organic topsoil for sale around here. Can I just take a scoop out of my front yard? I know there has been no chemicals for over a year and I am assuming much longer than that..

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Do you have a Lowes or Home Depot near you? They both sell topsoil with no additives. I got 120lbs for about 7 dollars.

Beyond that, if you are sure there is nothing harmful in the soil, you could sterilize & use it.

Katherine

5 Year Member
I use yard dirt for just about everything and have never had an issue.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If you don't use chemicals in the soil in your yard it is basically organic soil. I would not be too concerned about sterilizing it anymore than I would bagged soil.
I use bagged organic potting or top soil (found at Home Depot & Lowe's) only because I like the composition and moisture retention properties of it better than my local soil which is more like a hard pan soil which compacts to readily. But if the soil that you have access to is suitable for your needs and known to be chemical free there is absolutely no reason that you can't use it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree with everyone else. There is no difference between using your garden soil in your table and letting your tortoise walk on the same soil in your garden.

Assuming it's chemical free, it's fine. You may not be so keen on the critters in the soil from your garden coming into your house and, for that reason alone, you may wish to bake the soil in the oven for an hour to kill them off!

Jacob

5 Year Member
California
I Always like buying it so i feel that much Safer.
Just read the whole label and whats in to make sure its real organic!
Lots of compnays are just using the organic when theres nothing organic about it :)

Status
Not open for further replies.