Tort acting sluggish

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
El Paso, TX
My 130 pound sulcata has been acting a little sluggish recently. I have been keeping him in our shed (with a heater) because of his size. Then the weather started getting cold and thats when he started acting like that. I dont know if he was still cold or what but i started getting really concerned and i just brought him inside and put him in my wash room also with the heater. Is it normal for him to act like that because of the weather or is something wrong?? Please help

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I imagine its because of the cooler weather, however, my Dudley is out and about every day.

Does your guy come out at all?

M

Maggie Cummings

I would suggest that it's mostly because you don't have him set up good for winter. Bob is 102 pounds, we live in the PNW with cold rain slush and snow and Bob goes out daily hoping the sun is back.:) I would suggest that rather than a heater he needs a basking light. Bob goes under his light daily. They need their insides to be 85 degrees or higher in order to metabolize their food and I don't think your guy can get there using a heater. A 130 pound Sulcata needs his own shed, lights and sleeping box to live in. In my opinion your tortoise is not set up well enough to keep his metabolism up. Bob has a pig blanket to sleep on, a 250 watt basking light to nap under and a heater that keeps the ambient temp in his shed about 90 degrees. Bob moves from the pig blanket to the basking light to the bare floor to the outside and back again. It's called thermo regulation and Bob moves about like that all day. He spends several hours outside in the cold rain then goes inside and under his basking light. You need to set that tortoise up better for winter.

Brittany6

5 Year Member
Maggie,

Do you keep your tortoise shed doors open or does it have like a doggie door? Just curious. I live in upstate NY and have a hatchling so I don't need to worry about it for a while but I still want all the info I can get. I can let him out in the snow????

Thanks!
Brittany

M

Maggie Cummings

Brittany6 said:
Maggie,

Do you keep your tortoise shed doors open or does it have like a doggie door? Just curious. I live in upstate NY and have a hatchling so I don't need to worry about it for a while but I still want all the info I can get. I can let him out in the snow????

Thanks!
Brittany

It has a doggie door that I open in the morning and close off at night for security reasons. Bob is old enough and big enough to know when he can go out and should go back in. But yours won't be able to go out in the snow for about 8 more years. His is a 20'X12' shed with his sleeping box and Queenie's tort table in it. In the corner is a 250 watt basking light that he naps under...Bob will go out in the snow and come back in when he starts to get cold.

mikey meyer

5 Year Member
El Paso, TX
Yes on the warm days i open the shed and put his ramp up because the shed is a little bit elevated. Once he sees his ramp up he walks out and walks around the yard. Is the light your talking about the one thats supposed to be like the sun??

Brittany6

5 Year Member
That's great!!!!! What's a queenie tort table?????????? I find it historical a tort will go out in the snow!! Hahaha I love it!!!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I would love to see a pic of him :D. I see your avatar is likely him...however my eyes can only squint so much before they make me black out.... :p

How have you kept him in previous cooler winter months?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Okay so I am on my sons laptop and enlarged the avatar...what a beautiful guy you have there :D

I think that if you have not prepared a tortoise shed for the winter then I would first of all do that :p and in the interim I would also let him stay in your washroom...I would put something on the floor though for him to get up off the coldness of the floor...IMHO that is :D I hear lots about the pig blankets for these big guys...perhaps you can pick one up at a feed store in your area?

M

Maggie Cummings

Brittany6 said:
That's great!!!!! What's a queenie tort table?????????? I find it historical a tort will go out in the snow!! Hahaha I love it!!!

Queenie is my Hermanni tortoise. So I was talking about Queenie's (the Hermanni ) tort table..make sense now?

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
yes, they slow down.. mine will peek out, and sometimes decide not to venture out. if its sunny, even if cooler, they will wander out.. but not stay out as long.

Arizona Sulcata

10 Year Member!
Mesa, AZ
They do this as a semi type of hybernation. Best to just keep them warm but make sure he gets time outside the shed where he can get actual real sunlight.

Status
Not open for further replies.