temp drop?

Hospitable-Insanity

Location (City and/or State)
Missouri
Okay, I woke this morning and my entire house was cold! It's June in Missouri, my sulfate Theodore was hiding under his log not moving so I picked him up and poked his nose. To my relief he reacted like normal. His light was.still on but he wad sluggish and his eyes wouldn't open fully on one side. I feared an RI. I turnt my heater on and he came out of his slug mode. Me meandered around AMD his eyes started opening more. What can a 'sudden' drop in temp from warm to cold do to a few month old.sulcata?.

The pics are of his eye before I turnt the heater on. The lighting is bad so that's why he looks grey

Attachments

• IMAG1234.jpg
    IMAG1234.jpg
    786.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG1236.jpg
    IMAG1236.jpg
    638.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMAG1238.jpg
    IMAG1238.jpg
    635.4 KB · Views: 17

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Just what you described. They just become less active and sleep, and won't move around. RI takes and already sick animal, and lengths of time to expose itself. Quite normal and quite ok for it to drop like that. Especially just once. Numerous times and it can present a problem.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't let babies drop below 80 degrees. There are two seasons where sulcatas come from. Hot and hotter. While their may be occasional winter temps above ground in the 60's, the sulcatas are underground in burrows during that time and I speculate based on my own burrow temps during weather like that, the the temps hover around 80. What ever happens in the wild, 80 works well for captive sulcatas as a minimum night temp.

Expect your baby to be a bit lethargic and have less appetite for a few days depending on how cold it got and for how long. I'd bump up ambient temps for a few days just to be safe.

Hospitable-Insanity

Missouri
thank you all so much, i left the heater on as i was away to a dentist apt. Theodore is a lil' more active, but still a bit relaxed