Tort Aggression

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Has anyone ever tried or had any luck with neutering the males to curb aggression? First: Can you neuter a tortoise and would it help? It sure would make some housing situations easier!

B

Bansh88

No offense, but that's pretty rediculous.
I reccomend you give that torotise to someone else soon.

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madcity, WI
Bansh88 said:
No offense, but that's pretty rediculous.
I reccomend you give that torotise to someone else soon.

Not that ridiculous, I mean people have had scent glands taken out of skunks so they make better pets. Although I do doubt you can neuter a tortoise, its always worth asking. And no reason to tell someone to get rid of their tort.

B

Bansh88

True.
Could I have my Tortoises front legs removed to keep him from escaping?

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i see what you're sayin, bansh, but neutering of pets isnt really comparable to removing legs. now, de-barking of dogs may be on that level but lots of animals are neutered/spayed to make animals more docile

B

Bansh88

Neutering of a dog is a common practice done by Vets with decades of experience, information and training behind them.
An aggressive dog can be a serious issue. An aggressive Tortoise? Hardly worth putting the animal into a dangerous and unncessary surgery.

c_pierce705

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Madcity, WI
Bansh88 said:
Neutering of a dog is a common practice done by Vets with decades of experience, information and training behind them.
An aggressive dog can be a serious issue. An aggressive Tortoise? Hardly worth putting the animal into a dangerous and unncessary surgery.

I agree but that doesnt mean that the lady should get rid of the tort because she asked a question. I totally agree that people should never neuter a tort but shes not a bad pet owner for throwin it out there. There are all kinds of crazy stuff people do to make animals more tolerable as pets, another example are people who have the stinger removed from a scorpion so it can be a better pet. I dont agree with that either.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
For petes sake people!!! I thought this was a forum to ask questions and get answers not be bashed for trying to learn!! If neutering a tort made it easier for them to house and get along with others to prevent fighting... I wanted to know. If not, fine. I know they arent out chasing the mail man.
It was a simple question, too bad there was no answer..

Vegas Chad

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well, simple and short... I gotta get up for work in about 6 hours soooo i'll leave it at that :p

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Santa Cruz California
Well you can but it proably will not stop agression.I now this because are vet sugested it so there would be no more egg promblems.

Status
Not open for further replies.