Tort Enclosure Extension

Susieq16

Location (City and/or State)
Derby
I have a 4 year old Mediterranean tort, who is due out of hibernation in about 7 weeks. I feel like he needs more space, and was thinking of building a ramp from his usual enclosure so he can get out and roam around the dining room if he likes. His current enclosure is approx. 3ft x 3ft. My idea was that he will learn where his basking lamps and food are, and return to his enclosure whenever he wants to. Does this sound unrealistic? I currently let him out in the house when I'm home from work, and he has some key areas he clearly likes and settles in after having a walk, so it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility!. Has anyone done anything similar? And if so, is there a way to train him not to wee everywhere? We have laminate/wood floors, and it can stain if not mopped up soon. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a 4 year old Mediterranean tort, who is due out of hibernation in about 7 weeks. I feel like he needs more space, and was thinking of building a ramp from his usual enclosure so he can get out and roam around the dining room if he likes. His current enclosure is approx. 3ft x 3ft. My idea was that he will learn where his basking lamps and food are, and return to his enclosure whenever he wants to. Does this sound unrealistic? I currently let him out in the house when I'm home from work, and he has some key areas he clearly likes and settles in after having a walk, so it doesn't seem beyond the realms of possibility!. Has anyone done anything similar? And if so, is there a way to train him not to wee everywhere? We have laminate/wood floors, and it can stain if not mopped up soon. Any ideas welcome. Thanks.
I agree with Techno Cheese. Even though I found a product that will clean up the pee stains. Try Mop and Glow. I do know there is a way to add rooms to an existing wooden enclosure. I've actually been trying to build adaptable enclosures for many years.

Susieq16

Derby
I agree with Techno Cheese. Even though I found a product that will clean up the pee stains. Try Mop and Glow. I do know there is a way to add rooms to an existing wooden enclosure. I've actually been trying to build adaptable enclosures for many years.
Thanks for the advice. My husband is on the case..we're thinking maybe a couple of storeys to keep it interesting.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the advice. My husband is on the case..we're thinking maybe a couple of storeys to keep it interesting.
I have a sulcata that uses a two story enclosure. Just make the ramp longer than you think you need to ensure it isn't too steep, and make sure there are secure railings to prevent falling.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I have a sulcata that uses a two story enclosure. Just make the ramp longer than you think you need to ensure it isn't too steep, and make sure there are secure railings to prevent falling.
Yea.