TORT HOUSE HEATING

gustaf

10 Year Member!
I would like to know what anyones opinion is on tortoise house heating. What is your opinion on forced air heat? I know it tends to dry out the air but could you use it along with a humidifier? Would you still need a humidifier for a larger 20 inch sulcata? Is a radiator heater really better? I know ceramic heat emitters (che's) are popular. I also know they are famous for causing shell burns/damage. It seems like if you have a well insulated enclosure that would hold heat well you could use che's with no problems if they were kept at a pretty good distance from the tortoise and put on a thermostat. Am i right or am i wrong?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Here is one method I use:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-66867.html

I also use a combo of a Kane heat mat on the floor with a Radiant Heat Panel overhead. The RHP does the same thing as a CHE, but it spreads the heat out over a large area instead of one super hot spot. I put both on one thermostat. I'll be doing a thread on this soon. I think this method might be better in a well insulated box with just one large tortoise.

I used CHE's in the past, but as you noted, MANY tortoises have shell damage from these, so I've decided to not use them for this purpose any more.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Depending on the size of the shed, I would go with an oil filled. My tort shed is 8x12 well insulated with double insulated floor. I use one oil filled radiator on a thermostat. My leopard has a heated hide, heat with a pig blanket and radiant heat panel. My Russian has a CHE. They both have a backing spot for daytime. I also have a fan that runs on low to blow the heat down to floor level. It works good but lots of electric. In the spring I will be putting in a heated floor. Then I should be able to eliminate everything except the radiator that shouldn't have to run on high all the time. The shed is really warm for me, but at their level, floor level, it's not has hot.

gustaf

10 Year Member!
Thanks guys for the input and info. I like to do a lot of research before i build something like this. I dont want to invest money and time on something and then find out its not gonna work so well.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
My set up is stolen parts of Tom's . It works great . I just had a old pump house instead of the wooden box . But you got to remember our winters aren't bad . Here in Houston Texas we don't get snow. So you may need a heated shed for your cold winters . I would use a window unit with heat for that . Also have a generator for power failures.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
mike taylor said:
My set up is stolen parts of Tom's . It works great . I just had a old pump house instead of the wooden box . But you got to remember our winters aren't bad . Here in Houston Texas we don't get snow. So you may need a heated shed for your cold winters . I would use a window unit with heat for that . Also have a generator for power failures.

What are these window units you mention? If they fit like an air conditioner, then I'm not sure those would work in the cold snow states like I live. The cold air would just blow right into the shed, like it does with a window air conditioner that's not removed or covered for winter. Can you post a pic of what your talking about, please:D

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
It's a window air conditioner with heat . I have one out in the garage . I will take a picture in the morning . Like I said I don't live where it snows . Some of the units mount in a window or come with a kit to mount in a hole wall .

mike taylor said:
It's a window air conditioner with heat . I have one out in the garage . I will take a picture in the morning . Like I said I don't live where it snows . Some of the units mount in a window or come with a kit to mount in a hole in the wall .

Here you go found two types for you on line .

Attachments

• 1388815538096.jpg
    1388815538096.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 58
  • 1388815547299.jpg
    1388815547299.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 60

gustaf

10 Year Member!
Im not sure yet. I live by tampa florida so its usually pretty warm here. But right now its the coldest time of the year. The highs the last few days have been upper 60s. Lows have been down to the mid 40s. We have a day or two coming up that will be around 80 but the ten day forecast looks to be mostly in the upper 60s for highs with some nights dipping into the low 40s. And we will occasionally drop into the 30s for a few hrs. We just have a couple months like this then it should warm back up again. He has a huge yard but all i have for him is a plywood hide box about 30" wide by 48" deep by 14" tall. It has a dirt floor with hay in it. I was trying to somewhat simulate a burrow but i dont think its adequate. Its not insulated but the entrance is covered. I think i need to make something better.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
You can mimic a borrow with a taller hide that is easier to heat. By placing plywood horizontally inside, at say 18" with the overall hight 48", you can use an electric radiator type heater and still give that closed in feeling for them.
My heated she'd is 48" sloping to 40" for rain runoff and they don't seem to mind not having it closer to their backs.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Then you can just copycat Tom's box . With the wither you have in Florida a box type heated house would work great . My sulcata was out today it was 65 degrees .

gustaf

10 Year Member!
Yes i will do something like that. I originally was going to cut a hole in the top and install a che or night time heat lamp but i now know that would be asking for trouble. I would have one of those torts with a burned carapace. No good.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
If you can the heater or heat mats is the best opinions. Yes Ken as long as the sun is out so is Harry . I've not see him come out on a cloudy day .

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep there was a picture of a sulcata running around in the snow earlier .

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have a heated, insulated shed 8' x 12' with a small window. I chose to get Kane blankets and a heater running 24/7. Also, the ceiling is an angle T shape and I have a 400w lamp hanging from the middle top. That, along with their UV lights have been all the heat my sullies can take. The insulated floor temps are coolest at the door (65-70) while the temps all around hover around 70-80 degrees. My two sullies prefer the cooler sides and are beginning to ram the cement blocks separating them. They want out, so I let them go out to the huge yard to freeze for a bit, then, since they don't have the good sense to come back in, I go get them and put them on their blankets. Sometimes they love a few minutes in temps around 37-39 degrees. I also live in Florida, but way up north and to the west. Temps here in the winter get to the teens sometimes. And on Monday and Tuesday, temps will get to 17 degrees! But, their warm shed will keep them safe. Also, I have the electric running from the main house, so, I don't have a generator. The day or night I lose electric, I'll move myself and my animals to a home that with electricity.

So, I started with a simple shed and arranged for it to be insulated and had Durock (cement wall) put in. Insulating the floors are one of the most important things you need to do if you want to make a shed warm and safe for your animal. The heaters and lights are up to you, but Tom and Wellington describe great possibilities. Make sure you have a humidifier working at all times because heating the floors and area will suck out all the humidity from the air. In fact, I have one humidifier and it isn't enough. I need another one just to keep levels at 80%. Best to you in building a warm, safe place for your animals:)

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
My shed is a copy of Tom's also. Works great and is easy to build. My temperatures here are very close to what you have described. Don't need a humidifier. With just a couple of water dishes (not for drinking, just for humidity) it stays around 45% RH. Could easily get it more humid. Once built they are heavy. Just keep that in mind if you are planing on moving it later. Shade during the summer months is advisable.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
But 45% humidity isn't enough for sullies. My two get really restless when humidity falls below 60% Ideally, I'd like to get 70-80% humidity for my two year old sullies. Right now, with two buckets of water and a humidifier, I get around 60%. I'm getting another humidifier just to keep the humidity above 70%.
Dizisdalife said:
My shed is a copy of Tom's also. Works great and is easy to build. My temperatures here are very close to what you have described. Don't need a humidifier. With just a couple of water dishes (not for drinking, just for humidity) it stays around 45% RH. Could easily get it more humid. Once built they are heavy. Just keep that in mind if you are planing on moving it later. Shade during the summer months is advisable.