tort not eating

katrinaC

Location (City and/or State)
Eugene Oregon
I got my new guy on Saturday so have had him 5 days. I know animals take some getting used to be environments and so he likely wasn't eating for a couple days because of new home. But still after 5? On day 2 he took a bite out of a little strawberry I gave him to try and entice him to eat. Since then I've tried salad mix, carrot, mushroom, prickly pear, bell pepper and dandelion leaves withmashed strawberry since he had eaten it once I thought maybe mashed up on something. I know some of that is feed sparingly, I'm just trying stuff to get him interested. Yesterday he ate a little bell pepper and a couple worms but later I found the food under his lamp. Did he throw it up? It wasn't digested and all whole pieces. Am I being overly worried? Should I be more patient? Anything else I can try? Of and he's a spekes hingeback. That might help. Thanks in advance

katrinaC

Eugene Oregon
I saw somewhere to keep moving him to his food so I keep doing that. I just came by and looked and he ate a little of the cucumber. Not much. But some is better than none

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi, I don't know anything about hingebacks but there are quite a few threads about them in the Species Specific section - there may be a caresheet among them to help you with diet, and temps etc

Torts don't like change and will sulk when moved into a new environment and sometimes it's best to just let them settle in their own good time. Rather than keep moving him to the food maybe leave the food near him.
First thing to check are his temps - a tort won't eat if it is too cold.
There may be other factors affecting his behaviour so if you can post some pics of his enclosure and lamps members can advise you on anything they spot that may need changing.

katrinaC

Eugene Oregon
Hi, I don't know anything about hingebacks but there are quite a few threads about them in the Species Specific section - there may be a caresheet among them to help you with diet, and temps etc

Torts don't like change and will sulk when moved into a new environment and sometimes it's best to just let them settle in their own good time. Rather than keep moving him to the food maybe leave the food near him.
First thing to check are his temps - a tort won't eat if it is too cold.
There may be other factors affecting his behaviour so if you can post some pics of his enclosure and lamps members can advise you on anything they spot that may need changing.
Here are a few pics of him. The temp is in the cooler side of the tank. Under the basking area we have been getting 86 f. We have been having trouble with humidity and have put tinfoil on top of his tank to help keep it and we're thinking of putting a heat pad under his tank to help. We spray it down often. Yesterday and today he ate a little cucumber but not much.

Attachments

• 20210326_110524.jpg
    20210326_110524.jpg
    988.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210326_110610.jpg
    20210326_110610.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • 20210326_112644.jpg
    20210326_112644.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • 20210326_105055.jpg
    20210326_105055.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 8
  • 20210326_115037.jpg
    20210326_115037.jpg
    884.5 KB · Views: 7

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
I think you need someone who knows about hingebacks to advise you on diet and temps etc.
I'm tagging @Yvonne G or @Tom to see if they can help or maybe they know other hingeback keepers on the forum.